Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Gnocchi

I've never had gnocchi in my life and my curiosity is peaked after watching last night's 30 Minute Meals episode where Rachael made Montalcino Chicken with Figs and Gnocchi with Pancetta and Nutmeg. First off, the chicken looked divine, and the thought of adding figs was not a complete turn-off, but rather, an interesting concept. I don't really cook with wine, or drink it, but this is a recipe I would be willing to try. Whether I do or not is a different story! Anyhow, I have never had gnocchi in my life, and Rachael describes them as little "pillows" of potatoes. I used to think that gnocchi was a form of pasta, and I guess it is, but in the potato form.

Unfortunately there are no real Italian speciality stores near where I live (I do believe there is one in Bellingham, but I don't venture often out there because the traffic is terrible), but for the pancetta I guess I could substitute bacon. As Rachael said it would be more of a smoky flavor than anything. As for gnocchi, I wonder if I could find that at my local grocery store. I guess I could always call and ask. I just don't really have the time to make my own gnocchi (which I am assuming you could do).

We shall see. My quest for gnocchi will be fulfilled. Someday...perhaps?

7 Comments:

At 6:16 PM, Blogger wheresmymind said...

Ya'll should try it out for dinner first!

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I will definitely check out the grocery store next time I go. I really want to try this stuff and see how I like it. Same with polenta.

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Mazenbloo said...

Mmmm, love gnocchi! My grandmother makes it sometimes. LOL I'm invited on the next event. Last go around we did 3 different kinds of pierogies. Yummy! :d

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

101 Cookboks' Heidi did gnochhi, but pan seared hers. Was very yummy!

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger janelle said...

Gnocchi is coming to you via Trader Joes!

I love figs and bacon and all things italian!

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Garrett, nice new picture of you!!! I like!

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Janelle, I LOVE all things Italian too. And the funniest part is, back in 2002 for Christmas I made a ziti, and my French grandmother wiggled her nose at it, and my sister yelled out, "WE'RE NOT ITALIAN, JEN!!!" hahahhaha!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home