Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Always hungry

Why is it that when you start a new way of eating you are constantly hungry? I've been snacking on peanuts, fruit, anything that is not really too bad for you. I guess eating 5-6 small meals a day is what I should be doing, but I just don't ever remember and I'm terrible at it. Now that I'm back in school and am working on reading and assignments again, I like to just grab things and go.

What I would like are suggestions for "grab-and-go" snacks that are healthy and beneficial to a lower carbohydrate/higher protein "diet" (ugh I hate that word!). I follow the Insulin Resistance "diet" (which is a lot like South Beach), so for example, for every 9 grams of carbs you eat, you must eat 18 grams of protein, or something like that. Twice the amount of carbs anyhow. I don't follow it to a tee, but I try to keep mindful of it.

So far here is what I have on grocery list for Thursday's shopping trip to the store:

Trail Mix
Romaine/Spinach lettuce
Fruits (berries, apples, bananas, maybe grapes)

What else am I missing here? Remember- grab and go! :)

8 Comments:

At 4:46 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Sher, that is a great idea! I always have chicken breasts on hand that I can do that with! Thank you! And we always have tuna too!

I'm sorry to hear about your mother and father. :( I lost my Grandpa to smoking last year, I flew out to California with my husband and daughter and we got there 4 hours too late. He died on December 23, 2005. He was always telling us to quit smoking.

 
At 4:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For fruit, Clementines, because they are easy to take with you and super easy to peel. Plus they're in season, so they are extra yummy!!!

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger wheresmymind said...

I'd imagine that you are always hungry 'cause you are burning more calories! That is a good thing, right? :D

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Jane, that's not a bad idea...I will see if our grocer has them! Thank you!

Jeff, gahh I hope so. I've been on the go and trying to be more active lately as well, so hopefully that is what is going on here!

 
At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about yogurt, I know some people don't like it and it can be a bit pricey if you go with the small individual tubs but if you look for sales it can be ok. I like to add some nuts or fresh fruit to plain yogurt.

 
At 9:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to suggest yogurt, but it looks like it has already been recommended. That's what I grab for a quick snack to keep me from starving!

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

dawnfire, I can't really do yogurt because it tends to mess my stomach up. I am not lactose intolerant (can drink milk w/o problems) but for some reason yogurt messes with me! Thank you both for your suggestions!

 
At 9:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

string cheese :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home