Wednesday, January 31, 2007

TGIGSD!!!

(Thank Goodness it's Grocery Shopping Day!)

Seriously. I cleaned out what we had in the fridge veggie wise (which was honestly pathetic, a clove of garlic, half a white onion, and a couple of green onions. That's IT), cleaned out the fruit as well, and used what I could find in our pantry. I came up with a pretty filling and yummy Nacho dish thingy (I have NO clue what else to call it). This is what I used: the white onion, the green onions, the garlic, ground beef, a can of green chiles, 1/3 block of Velveeta (yeah yeah don't hate!), tortillas.

1. I usually make my own tortilla chips by taking 2 tortillas at a time (I usually only use 4 tortillas total for my family and that is more than plenty), and using a pizza cutter, cut them in half, then cut the halfs into quarters, and once again cut those quarters into chip sized tortilla strips. I line a cookie sheet with my tortilla strips and drizzle EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil for those of you who don't watch Rachael Ray) lightly over them. I bake at 350°F til I feel they are done (Browned and crisp but a little soft is how we like em!). This is so much better for you- you are using Olive Oil, which is more healthy for you than Veg Oil, and you're baking- not deep frying- the chips. I have a weird aversion to deep frying ANYTHING and it's due to the fact that when we were really poor when I was pregnant, my DH would fry up potatoes and I usually couldn't keep them down because of my morning/all-day sickness.

2. I brown up my ground beef (which you can substitute a much more healthy ground chicken or turkey for!) in my pan, seasoned with Cumin and Taco Seasoning. When it's almost done, I add the onions and garlic (I prefer em diced thinly, so I use my mini food processor to get that job done).

3. I took the 1/3 block of Velveeta and diced it up into small cubes, added my can of Green Chiles and melted in a microwave-safe bowl for 2 minutes, took out and stir like crazy.

4. I placed the chips on the bottom of the plate, placed the meat/onion mixture on top and then drizzled the cheese mixture on top and added a dollop of sour cream.

And again I forgot to take pictures, but I have to say, I am pleased with how yummy this turned out. For the past few days I have been eating very light because my sinuses are infected and I've been doing the whole homeopathic nasal irrigation thing. It's been a miserable few days here! At least now I can eat! Sheesh! I am also proud to say that despite feeling like crap I got myself up everyday to do my exercises. I don't like falling behind.

As for school, I am in finals week and this is the worst week to be behind. I did manage to get one final done, our taxes done (which is easier than ANY final in the world as far as I am concerned), and will start on my other final tomorrow. *Sigh*. I can't wait for this week to be over with!

3 Comments:

At 5:45 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds yummy! Good luck with finals.

 
At 7:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like we are in the same blog with the pantry and fridge contents. We were supposed to be out of town this weekend so I put off grocery shopping since we'd be gone, but plans have changed. Hopefully we'll have enough to eat to get us through tomorrow morning ;)

 
At 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way... good luck with your finals and taxes. Yuck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home