Friday, January 26, 2007

It's all about Cumin

I just love the taste of Cumin, the smell of it, and really, I just discovered it. (I told you I'm no seasoned pro! I'm still learning!) My husband is such a fan of the smoky flavor that he pretty much uses it in anything he decides to cook (I usually make him cook for us on the weekends because I tend to get burnout from the week!). Last weekend it was Cumin-flavored pork chops. Yum. This week he's considering grilling some Cumin-flavored Chicken breasts and making some sort of Mexican feast for us.

Mexican and Italian foods are very common in this household, just because of the ease of what I am used to cooking as well as the tasty herbs and spices, but I'm considering buying the Chia Herb Gardens so I don't have to constantly run back and forth from the store for Basil, Rosemary, Chives and such.

Steering away from the Cumin topic...

This recipe here I found on All Recipes looks good and is in the "Diabetic recipes" top 20 recipe section:

Pasta with Fresh Tomato Sauce

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 (16 ounce) package dry penne pasta
  • 8 roma (plum) tomatoes, diced
  • 1/2 cup Italian dressing
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
  • 1/4 cup diced red onion
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

DIRECTIONS

  1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Place the penne pasta in the pot, cook 10 minutes, until al dente, and drain.
  2. In a large bowl, toss the cooked pasta with the tomatoes, Italian dressing, basil, red onion, and Parmesan cheese.

NUTRITION INFORMATION

Servings Per Recipe: 8

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 243

  • Total Fat: 3.6g
  • Cholesterol: 3mg
  • Sodium: 183mg
  • Total Carbs: 43.9g
  • Dietary Fiber: 2.7g
  • Protein: 8.6g

8 Comments:

At 8:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cumin is one of my favorite spices too, it's especially good in chili!


Ari (Baking and Books)

 
At 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cumin is sooo good. I add it to almost all Mexican dishes! I love Mexican food as well too... And I love cooking it!

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I love cumin too ! It is great mixed with plain yogurt,lemon juice and cucumbers.mmmmmm!

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger ©Jac said...

My husbands sentiments exactly. (It's all about the cumin). Teehee.

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Jac...now is that meant in a naughty way?? Or is my mind totally in the gutter?? lol!!!!!

 
At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Cumin too...

 
At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a sweet potato recipe with cumin...I'll have to make it so I can get pictures!

 
At 4:30 AM, Blogger G. said...

Sounds very good!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home