Friday, September 29, 2006

Comfort food tonight



Today has been probably one of the worst days I have had in a while, just one of those days where you want to crawl back into bed and stay there. In any case, I decided to make some "comfort food" and put a stew in the crockpot. My grandmother-in-law gave me a bunch of crockpot recipes and I have never put them to use- til today. Here is the recipe:

Beef Stew

2 lbs beef chuck or stew meat (cut into 1-inch cubes)
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1 teaspoon Worchestershire Sauce
1 clove garlic
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon paprika
4 carrots, sliced
3 potatoes, diced
2 onions, chopped
1 stalk celery, sliced

1. Place meat in crockpot. Mix flour, salt and pepper, and pour over meat, stir to coat meat with flour.
2. Add remaining ingredients and stir to mix well.
3. Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours or high for 4-6 hours.
4. Stir thoroughly and serve!




I did this a little differently. I forgot to add Paprika, and I added an extra clove of garlic, more than 1 stalk of celery (including that green/yellow leafy part because it's full of flavor), I also substituted baby red potatoes for the traditional russet potatoes (I diced about 10-12 small baby red potatoes). I think the onions was a bit overkill, but I did add both that I diced up.

In any case, it was DELICIOUS and was of great comfort to me tonight, which I needed.

6 Comments:

At 7:55 PM, Blogger Mazenbloo said...

That looks SO yummy! I wish I were there for a sample! :) Hope your night got better! I hate days like those!

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I would have given ya more than a sample! It was so good last night, and we have leftovers for the next couple of nights too. Next time, I will add some paprika though!

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Mazenbloo said...

Do you ever order spices over the 'net or specialty stores? My grandmother (you know, the one who loves to cook! LOL) brought over a little bag of spices for me last week. They smell soooo GOOD!

Dried sweet basil.
Dried tarragon
Hungary sweet paprika
thyme leaves (one of my favorite smells)
guatamala ground cardamom (very interesting smell!)
and some nutmeg nuts.

Love a grandma that loves to share her stuff! She ordered it from Penzey's.

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

You know, I have never thought of ordering spices online...I should check it out sometime. What websites do you suggest??

And those spices sound divine!!!

 
At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yumm.. Just stumbled on to your website... I too love to cook. I used my crockpot last night too for some comfort food too... I'm excited to keep following your blog!

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Hi Jane, thank you! I'll check your blog out too! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home