Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Last night I had a sweet tooth

So I looked up a bunch of sugar cookie recipes because I don't really keep chocolate chips or anything like buttermilk handy. Well, I found a generic recipe for sugar cookies that didn't require a lot and required what I had...so I decided that I would substitute Imitation Almond Extract for the Vanilla and it came out okay, but I think I used too much of it, because I don't know about you, but Imitation Almond Extract tends to be very drying on your tongue and it's hard to get rid of that aftertaste.

Anyhow, here's what I did...my Almond Sugar Cookies




  • 1 cup shortening
  • 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
  • 1 1/4 cups white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tablespoons Almond Extract
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1. Preheat over to 300°F and grease a cookie sheet (or two or three).
2. Cream the sugar(s), shortening and eggs together and then add your Almond extract in and mix well.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. If you don't like it dry add maybe 1/4 cup of water to make the dough more "wet" or moist (which is what I did).
4. You can either drop these or roll these and put them on the cookie sheets. I rolled them into small balls and then pressed them down onto the cookie sheet. It yielded 4 cookie sheets worth.
5. Bake for 9-12 minutes or until brown and then let cool down.

I'm going to play around with this recipe another time and add things to it (maybe orange/lime/lemon zest, chocolate/butterscotch chips, etc) to see how they turn out.

They are okay, but less Almond Extract would be the key here...NOTE: I put 2 tablespoons down because that's what the original recipe called for with the Vanilla Extract. I'd maybe do just 1 tbsp of the Almond.

4 Comments:

At 1:19 PM, Blogger wheresmymind said...

I love sugar cookies!!! Almond sounds like a great addition :)

 
At 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes--maybe it was 2 teaspoons. That's normally what I put in for vanilla and any more overpowers the other flavors.

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Donna @ Snowbound said...

Yum, sugar cookies are one of my favs. I love trying new recipe for them. They look yummy!

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yummers! Almond extract rocks my socks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home