Thursday, September 07, 2006

On school lunches

I received my daughter's lunch menu from her school and it's pretty much the same kind of menu as her last school had (I believe it's a district-wide issue). Stuff like "Macho Nachos", breakfast for lunch stuff like "Pancake on a Stick" brought me right back to my fifth grade year of elementary school. The lunches were not prepared at the school (unlike my daughter's) and were driven to us every day. In the fifth grade, you were allowed to volunteer services to help unload and serve out hot lunch for a week at a time. As a reward, you were allowed one extra chocolate milk on Wednesdays when they had chocolate milk. Nowadays the kids get chocolate milk on a daily basis in her school district, something I'm not fond of, but what are you going to do?

Another thing I noticed when I dropped her off at her school (she switched schools this year, stayed in the same district though), was that there were two Dasani machines. I thought, "oh no...please tell me they didn't put pop in my daughter's elementary school...", but it turned out to have Minute Maid juice and Dasani water. The Juice vending machine is 75 cents per bottle. The Dasani water vending machine is 50 cents per bottle, which I think is a good deal. I slipped 50 cents into her pocket this morning, hoping she wouldn't spend it on a chocolate milk and hoping she used it for water when she got thirsty (which I had explained to her that it was supposed to be for water).

When she got home, I asked her if she still had the money and she told me, "I got a chocolate milk today!". (Despite the fact that I packed her a juice box with her lunch...)

Six year olds.

5 Comments:

At 1:59 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

We actually have something called Super Donut served here too every so often, but turns out it's a wholegrain non-glazed donut that most kids hate. LOL!

What do you think of letting the kids have a glazed cinnamon roll every Friday for breakfast? (Complete with sprinkles?)

Definitely keep me posted, I'll check your blog for updates too!

 
At 4:00 AM, Blogger G. said...

Oh, we have the super donut in our district too. This is why I continue to pack lunches for my kids even though I hate doing it.

 
At 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, chocolate milk *is* the new sports drink. Seems she's not so fripperous after all:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/24/health/webmd/main1342839.shtml

 
At 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, chocolate milk *is* the new sports drink. Seems she's not so fripperous after all:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/24/health/webmd/main1342839.shtml

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger RenĂ©e said...

I don't know a six year old who can resist the lure of chocolate milk either! At our school, they even offer strawberry milk too, joy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home