Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Healthy living and eating

I refuse to call what we have been doing "dieting". Diet connotates something so negative, something I don't want to think about, and something that most people equate with saying certain foods are a no-no. Take my sister-in-law for example, who is like a size 9 and thinks she needs to diet. She's been obsessive about her caloric intake, and while I understand she feels the need to drop a few pounds, I begged her to not be so obsessive about it. I told her that certain proteins are good for her and she needs them (lean proteins like skinless, boneless chicken breast). The problem is her husband likes to grill burgers all the time and that is something she's trying to avoid.

I myself have had a weight problem since I was about 12. It started when I was younger, my father putting me on diets (and I wasn't a fat child, I was very active, but tall and "big-boned"). I was always the tallest in my class. Since having my daughter and getting the Depo Provera shot (which I tell everyone to avoid if they have issues with gaining weight and other problems on hormonal birth control), I have been at my highest weight ever. Things I used to take for granted- regular things like walking without pain, shopping without having to sit down because my back aches, are problems I have been encountering. My husband has been dealing with a weight problem too, and I believe he has a thyroid problem like his mother. I have what is a pre-diabetic condition, called Insulin Resistance, which can make it difficult to lose weight and keep it off. I recently had a blood panel done and luckily, everything turned out just fine- cholesterol, liver function, kidneys and glucose levels all were good. No thyroid problems. A relief, really (especially the glucose/diabetes part, because Type 2 Diabetes runs in my family). My husband and I have committed ourselves to walking together to try to lose this weight, and I have been cooking healthy for a while now. We don't buy junk anymore (no more ice cream, and the last cake I baked was for his work). With Fall and the holidays coming up, my biggest culprit will be all of the baking I do. Now, while I cook and bake, I don't want to eat, but afterwards?? I'll bake enough and take it all elsewhere so it's not sitting around my house.

In any case, one of my biggest points in life has always been to drink at least a half gallon to a full gallon of water a day (which I have been doing for years now). I don't drink pop (I will occasionally, but not on a daily or even weekly basis), and I have been trying to make myself drink more milk. I do drink coffee though, which I know is something I need to cut down on (because the shakes from the caffiene is not normal). My husband has a bad pop problem, and that's something I'm trying to get him out of. I like to buy juice instead, but our problem is the amount of pop he drinks. Overall though, I think we're both doing good, and supporting each other through this will be the key to our success.

At least I hope I can avoid the gastric bypass, because lord knows we can't afford it, but I am keeping my options open for that one.

9 Comments:

At 11:06 AM, Blogger Donna @ Snowbound said...

Sounds like you are doing everythign right. Babysteps and it will get easy and better everyday.

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Baby steps...trying to remember that. As of late, I have been dealing with a lot of lower back pain that gets to the point of me almost passing out from it. It's not normal and it's very frustrating and overwhelming to deal with. I am not giving up though. Just have to remember it takes a while to lose weight...

Thanks.

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger wheresmymind said...

hehe... "Pop"...it's soda out here ;)

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Mazenbloo said...

Man, I can relate to so much of this entry! Hang in there. I'm on that journey as well and it's HARD! But you can do it! Like she said. One day at a time. Set small goals that are reachable. Pretty soon you'll be amazed at how far you've gone!

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

LOL J- in Cali we call it "soda" too. My sister keeps giving me hell for calling it pop! I've changed! :D

Mazenbloo- Definitely, small goals is the WORD! It is rough enough trying to lose weight but setting unattainable goals isn't going to do anyone any good. No more Peanut Butter Jelly Time for me. :(((( /pout (love me some pb & jelly!).

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger G. said...

Good luck on the weight loss. Let me know how you're doing.

 
At 3:26 AM, Blogger Abster said...

I understand your current predicament as I had to go through that starting last year. See I had always been really big-boned as a kid, but developed into an obese teenager as the years went by. I was in denial about what I was putting in my mouth and how big I was getting, despite all the talks I have had with my family.

Last year though, after getting a thorough blood diagnosis, I was alarmed at how high my uric acid level and fatty liver cells were. I was seriously warned by the young doctor that if I don't do anything about it, I will probably get diabetes as one of my lifestyle consequences.

Hence, I started eating wiser and became more consciously active. Now I've lost nearly 80 pounds of baggage--physically and emotionally! KUDOS on your own endeavor!

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Thank you Abster- I appreciate you sharing your story with me. I am still medically "morbidly obese", was in high school too, though not as big as I am today, and the problems I have medically I'm sure are part of the obesity. But after taking one Depo shot, my body just completely went to hell. It's something I've been dealing with since 2001.

I am fortunate that my blood panels came back looking really good (no diabetes (thank GOD), no high cholesterol, no thyroid problems, etc). And I didn't have high blood pressure. I'm doing SOMETHING right.

If only this stupid weight would come off...

 
At 2:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My name is Janice Still and i would like to show you my personal experience with Depo-Provera.

I am 24 years old. I have been on Depo for 9 years and did not realize that the symptoms I experienced might be related to the shot. I am now facing thousands of dollars in dental work due to bone density loss, and will probably end up with osteoporosis. I am getting off Depo and will never touch it again!

I have experienced some of these side effects-
Low libido, joint pain, bone density loss, dental problems, headaches, fatigue, out of control eating, gained 40 lbs., depression

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Janice Still

Depo-Provera Prescription Information

 

Post a Comment

<< Home