Monday, December 18, 2006

A great Christmas gift

My husband not only cooked dinner (chili) last night, but he also cleaned the kitchen and helped our daughter load up the dishwasher. That is the best gift I could get!

So, he made his own version of chili last night, complaining about my last batch of chili being 1, too watery, 2, being too bland, and 3, having too many huge pieces of onion in it. So I cooked the red kidney beans on the stove (after soaking them overnight) for about 3 hours til they were cooked thoroughly, and he fried up about 2 and a half pounds of ground beef with about 6-8 cloves of garlic and half of an onion chopped very thinly. He added all of them to the drained cooked beans and added crushed tomatoes (instead of using tomato sauce like I did last time) to the pot, about 2 tbsp of chili powder, 2 tsp of cumin, and salt/pepper to taste. It came out very good, but needed some more chili powder and salt. It wasn't watery this time and I think he did an excellent job on it. He's a bit camerashy and wouldn't allow me to take pictures. Bah humbug!

3 Comments:

At 7:17 AM, Blogger wheresmymind said...

aww...go sneak up on him and grab a picture!

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Atticus said...

Dh always says the same thing about my chili. He's from Ohio though and claims that up there chili is made with no 'sauce/soup' the way I make it LOL!!

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Sher, well, it was, but it caused some nasty heartburn so my husband is trying to figure out what he added too much of and next time will avoid it!

Jeff, LOL the uploader cable is on my husband's computer, he has the capability of deleting! LOL!!

Atticus, I have never made homemade chili before and while it wasn't the best I think my first attempt was not TOO bad! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home