Thursday, October 19, 2006

My first attempt at chili




And while it looks good, it was rather bland. I don't know where I went wrong to tell the truth. I cooked the kidney beans the night before in the crock, then the next day I browned the ground beef (added garlic salt for flavor to that), then put the ground beef at the bottom of the crock with diced up onion, 3 cloves of garlic, enough tomato sauce, the beans as well as about 2 tablespoons of chili powder. Where did I go wrong??

I mean, it looked great, but it was just so...meh.

Any suggestions?

6 Comments:

At 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd add cumin! Maybe some jalapenos.

Mmm. Chili.

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Definitely, or green chiles perhaps?? I am missing cumin! DH complained about how bland and not spicy it was. LOL!!!

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger Madeline said...

Can you guess what my suggestion will be? Use a Rachael Ray recipe! In addition to cumin and jalapenos, Rachael also usually puts in Worcestershire sauce and some beer to deglaze the pot and lets its simmer for a bit before adding the tomatoes and stock.

Her Uptown Downhome Chili is good.

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Ooh, thank you so much Madeline! I'm not a fan of TOO much spice, but DH should be pleased with this. Someday I will try this. Thank you!

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Mazenbloo said...

Definately cumin. We like some green chilis in ours too. I'm a cheater. I buy the petite diced tomatoes with the chilis already in it. :D

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger ©Jac said...

Try a little pepper, or even some hot sauce, but just a little. Maybe a tsp of salt...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home