Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Chicken broth has an expiration date??

This sucks. I bought the more expensive range-free or free range (whatever it is) organic Chicken broth back in November or October and thought I would just stock up on it. I went to make some chicken broth for my poor husband last night (stomach was hurting) and he says, "check the expiration date". I said, "there's no such thing" and he told me, "yes, there is". I'll be darned. And the expiration date was November 2006!!!! Ugh! I know I bought it near that too, which sucks even more!

I guess I can't even keep Chicken broth on hand like I wanted to! You learn something new every day!

6 Comments:

At 2:29 PM, Blogger Lisa Fain (Homesick Texan) said...

Freeze what you don't use--I'd pour portions of a cup or two into freezer bags. Then when you need some just take it out of the bag and throw it in a pot and it's ready to go. It can live in the freezer forever! (OK, maybe not that long, but a few months at least).

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Ahhha!!! Perfect! Thank you so much for this tip. From now on I will definitely do that. You never know when you are going to need chicken broth!

 
At 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had no idea either. Thanks for the heads up!

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger wheresmymind said...

Can always make your own chicken broth too!

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I would love to make my own broth, but I usually only cook boneless skinless chicken breasts, so I don't get a lot of broth out of that. I need to buy some whole/fryer chickens and then boil the bones down to make a stock out of that.

 
At 12:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, I just did the same thing. While cleaning out my lazy susan I found several cartons of free range broth. I opened one and treated my dogs to it (sprinkled over their kibble). But I will have to get rid of the rest. Ughh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home