Sunday, April 15, 2007

So hard to say goodbye...

I hate saying goodbye. I hate the unknown. The not knowing. My mother flies out early tomorrow and that's that. It always goes by too quickly. Truth is, I don't know when I will see her again. I don't know when I'll get a chance to go home again. All I know is it is not this summer, as we have commitments and other things we must take care of.

I don't dwell on it completely, but I do get sad. However, in the past four days with my mom I was treated to her famous Orange Chicken, and even breakfast made for me. It was like a taste of home and what used to be. We laughed, we talked, we spent that much-needed time together. My daughter will have to cope with this and it will be harder for her to handle than myself, but she goes back to school tomorrow, so that should keep her occupied as well.

I did not get any pictures of the Orange Chicken, but I do have the recipe.

Orange Chicken

3-4 cloves of garlic, diced
2 green bell peppers, cut into thin long strips
1/2 large white onion, chopped up
5-6 regular sized russet potatoes, chopped into pieces (just a bit over bite-size)
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped up into bite sized pieces (or you can use Chicken Thighs, which is what my mom normally uses)
1-2 cups ketchup
2-3 cups water
Salt & pepper to taste
Extra Virgin Olive Oil for sauteeing veggies and meat

Saute garlic, green bell peppers and onion with EVOO. When it's carmelized and wilted down, add in the chicken and cook thoroughly. Add ketchup, salt & pepper and mix well, then add the potatoes and water and let simmer until the soup is thick (should be about 15-20 minutes). Let cool down and serve over rice.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 9:55 PM, Blogger jouettelove said...

love your sister post i hope she had a good birthday! and what do you know, my mother leaves tomorrow too. she didn't cook for me while she was visiting though...
your mom's Orange Chicken sounds sooo comforting and yummy, i will try it. ((hugs)) to you, sweetie.

 
At 11:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi jennifer,

thanks for sharing the recipe. i could imagine that's the dish is yummy!

saying goodbye is really hard. me too, i always find my eyes watery when my parents and siblings leave my place after a few weeks visit...but hey, with the power of technologies, nothing is impossible. just hearing their voices makes me happy. but i know that nothing beats than seeing and hugging them...

have a nice day!

 
At 11:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahh! Thank you for letting us have that wonderful recipe. I'm so glad that you saw you mom, and that it won't be too long before you see her again!

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Jouette, I hope you had a good visit with your mom too!

Dessy, thank you so much- I too am thankful for the technology we have nowadays too- they are just a call or email away!

Sher, I hope I can see her soon again too, but I am thankful I had the time I did with her. I hope you enjoy the recipe! :)

 
At 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That did go by fast...even for me! Seems like she just got here.

I cry everytime my parents leave and I see them several times a year. I just miss them so much after they are gone.

Glad you had a nice visit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home