Sunday, June 24, 2007

NFB: Getting heavy here (Note: about religion)

Yes, I realize I haven't been writing much about food lately...there is a lot of other things going on and a lot of stuff on my mind that I feel writing about it is the best way to help me manage my thoughts better.

WARNING: Discussion of Agnosticism, Atheism below. As mentioned in a previous posting, we do not have religion. I was raised in an Evangelical church but left it when I turned 16 because I was disgusted by the teachings and disagreed with the church on many issues (still do). I am now Agnostic and am dealing with a child who is becoming more and more aware of religion, so this is something we are now trying to handle in the best way possible.

About a year and a half ago I attended a Unitarian Universalist church as part of my studies on that "religion" (I don't know if you can call it a religion or what!) in my World Religions class. Having been in only Christian churches in the past, I was scared to go to this one, but in the end something inside made me feel like I was at home and I wanted to pursue it on my own time. I did go back once but then my grandfather passed away and we were in California for a short time, so I never did go back. I always had the intention of going back, but I just never got around to it, mainly because I am terrible about getting up on time for the whole church thing on a Sunday (which I deem as my Laundry day).

Now my daughter is becoming more and more interested and curious about God and religion. Of course, having Evangelical family members does not help our situation and recently I was faced with this. Long story short, I was shocked that my daughter was praying. Then I thought, why should I care? In the long run it's up to her to choose and I said that a long time ago. My husband, the hardcore Atheist, is a bit more open-minded about it than I am. Our goal is to raise our daughter in our non-traditional home hoping she won't join a cult or something, but by my pushing of the no religion thing on her, I realize I am setting her up for that in the future (at least possibly). So it's best to figure out if I should take her to some local churches now. Or maybe we should head back to the UU church, considering they do teach about all religions of the world (which is what I would prefer my daughter to learn about anyhow).

Now, getting myself up early on a Sunday morning will be the next challenge. We shall see.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 2:31 PM, Blogger Musings on Second Life said...

I have to agree with you. For me anyway, growing up with religion was important to me (Catholic). It isn't that important to me now and would not classify myself as religious or even dogmatic. In any event, Unity is cool because they teach elements of other religions - such as studying the Bhagavad Gita and other religious texts. So, I think it's prudent to take her with you to a place that you agree with before her fundy friends take her to church and then you might have a problem!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home