Friday, June 22, 2007

NFB: Goodbye to First Grade

My daughter is enjoying her last day of first grade right now and I'm asking, where did the time go? Granted, I am not as emotional over it as I was last year (thanks to Kindergarten graduation), but this year flew by.

We switched schools in the same school district because we moved in June of last year to the place we are in now. I was not very happy with the school she attended in Kindergarten. I mean, they had wonderful resources and everything, but there were a few things I was unhappy with. This past school year though, I became more involved in getting to know people, attended some PTO meetings and offered some help as I began to realize how much the PTO does for the school. I am truly impressed and whereever I can help, I will. I really love this school and we are going to do whatever it takes to remain in this area so my daughter can finish her schooling out here. I will definitely miss her first grade teacher, who really had a wonderful impact on my daughter's education and life. My daughter has grown so much and did so well with reading and writing that I was impressed. We now visit our local library regularly and she signs up for events that happen through the library as well. The fact that I can see change is wonderful. It never ceases to amaze me how much these kids learn and how they just soak everything up.

Come Fall she will be in the second grade, and I will be hoping to have a full-time job, so there will be a transition for both of us, but it'll be a positive transition. Right now I am trying to find part-time temporary work during the summer to make a couple of extra bucks for my teeth problems and for summer spending.

I just hope she'll continue to have a love for learning and go onto college someday. I will do whatever it takes to help pay for her to further her education, even if that means working two jobs.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about teeth problems. I recently went to the dentist for the first time in more than 5 years and found out I need over $900 worth of work done (WITH my insurance!)... mainly: two crowns. I've done the fillings and the cleaning, all that's left are the crowns. I'm getting started on the first one next week. The second one needs to go on a cracked tooth in back and I think I'll live dangerously and wait on that for a bit. As long as I can anyway.

I am so looking forward to my son starting Kindergarten in the fall. I can't wait for him to be in "real" school. Not that pre-K wasn't real and he did learn a TON in pre-K. But I'm still excited about his new school, it's a magnet school and everyone says it's great. I can't wait for school to start next semester for him and for me. I'm THRILLED about my classes next semester!

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger jouettelove said...

aw, a second grader--time flies, huh? i hope all of your dreams for next year come true, hun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home