Monday, July 31, 2006

RayRay I love ya sometimes

Miss Rachael Ray (well, Mrs. now, since she got married) had a special on the Central Coast of California going on Friday night. First was her episode of $40 A Day with her in my hometown of Monterey, California. Of course, everytime it comes on I watch it. And I can vouch for First Awakenings in Pacific Grove, their food is to die for, and there's almost always a long line to get in. If you ever get a chance to go, you must try their Blueberry Pancakes! I have never been to the other places she went to, although I have heard very good things about them.

The next show that came on was Rachael Ray's Tasty Travels, which was focused on the Central Coast, she drove down Highway 1 from Monterey down to San Luis Obispo. I've never driven that drive and refuse to. She has guts. All of those winds and cliffs make me ill. She focused more so on restaurants in Pacific Grove, and most of the places there seem real shi-shi (read: expensive), but I know there are good deals to be found. I guess I was just too ghetto to enjoy the culinary delights of finer dining. There's an excellent restaurant my father swears on in Pebble Beach. I believe it's called Roy's.

7 Comments:

At 6:25 AM, Blogger Vinegar Martini said...

I saw those episodes! The food looked divine but I was blown away by how beautiful the places were - and I've been there before in person - just forgot how gorgeous it is!

Alton Brown's Cooking on Asphalt disappointed me big time. He meandered through my old stomping grounds and the best he could find in the upstate of SC was a roadside watermelon stand? HUH? The Beacon Drive In is in Spartanburg and it's a flipping institution! Sometimes these shows just amaze me.

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I raved about RayRay's visit to Monterey, but I think they focused WAY too much on Pacific Grove and Carmel, and I can't stand either of those places (well, except for the beautiful scenery they showed- the rocks and all). I wish they would have shown more of Monterey. There are good restaurants in downtown as well.

I missed that new Alton Brown show, but I'll try to catch it again. I'm sorry you were disappointed with it.

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Donna @ Snowbound said...

I've never seen this show, we don't get the food network. But I just bought the 365 Meals for a friend and I got the Express Lane cookbooks. They look good and I can't wait to try some of the recipe. My friend who was in Europe also got me a cookbook by that guy (I can't remember his name) from Hell's Kitchen when she was in England for my B-day since another present didnt' work out. She hasn't given it to me yet so I can't review it yet!

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I just love getting cookbooks...I like to collect as many as possible! :)

 
At 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know what drives me crazy about the show? The tips are measly! People give her incredible service and she shows the audience just what a pitiful tip she gives them in the money segments.

It really hit home when I watched the DC episode. The tax on dining out is 10% in my fair city. Yes, that's a lot, but you deal with it or eat at home. Tips should be approximately 2x the tax. Was that the case in the show? Nah, she just went right along, tipping her 11% and setting a poor example.

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I read somewhere that the "tip" shown on the screen is actually just made up so she makes her budget, that they actually tip better than that. I feel what you are saying though. Like, last night's episode in Milwaukee, she tipped $3.05 or something on a meal that totalled $17!!! I thought that was crap...but then I remember what I had read.

I would HOPE that she would tip better, but it doesn't help to show anything good to the audience!

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger wheresmymind said...

Ray Ray makes me ick ick! lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home