Wednesday, August 02, 2006

When All Else Fails

break out the garlic and onion! In my Nana's household, it's imperative to always have these two things laying around. I never understood why my aunt always has a huge mound of garlic cloves hanging in the kitchen, but after finding out how to make my Nana's Kidney Beans and Chicken/Pork Adobo, it became very clear to me that these are two essential ingredients in a lot of her cooking.

Recently, I called my Nana to say hello, and asked her how to make her kidney beans, which are so tasty. I've tried making them and they never come out the way I want them to. What I lacked was sauteeing the meat (pork is preferred but beef will do) in garlic and onion and oil, then combining them all (juices too) with the beans in the pot. I asked about using the crockpot and Nana scoffed at the thought of that. Sorry, but that's my shortcut I will use. LOL. About adobo, the only way I like it is the way she makes it. Again, you sautee pork or chicken in a pan with garlic and onion and oil, then you add some vinegar and salt. If you want add a little soy sauce and that's it. Sometimes she adds bay leaves to the adobo and whole peppercorns as well.

There's nothing like my Nana's cooking...and she's 84, still cooking. I'm glad I was able to find out how to make it!

4 Comments:

At 11:37 AM, Blogger ©Jac said...

mmmmmmmm. Garlic! lol!

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Yeah, and I tried a real funky version which didn't taste a thing like adobo last night using dried onion and garlic powder because I had no fresh onion or garlic in my house! It wasn't that great, LOL.

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger jouettelove said...

ITA, garlic and onion are key ingredients in our house too! your Nana's recipes sound yummy, I'm glad you got them too.

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I need to call her again because I lost the paper I wrote it on...and getting it out of her for a second time is going to be hard! We'll see!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home