Saturday, January 13, 2007

Sugar substitutes

I admit, I am very leery when it comes to using Equal anymore with the amount of medical research showing links to cancer and other problems. Of course, there's Splenda, but I believe that is the same thing as Equal. The other sugar substitutes I have heard of are Agave Sugar (which I cannot find anywhere) as well as Stevia, which doesn't seem to have the effects (apparently) that Equal, Sweet N Low or Splenda have.

Being Insulin Resistant and trying to watch what I eat has presented a problem with regular sugar (which I do keep handy for baking and sweetening up bland cereals or other foods), as that is something Insulin Resistant and Diabetic folk need to stay away from. My only option was to use a sugar substitute, but with Stevia costing an arm and a leg, Equal et all causing problems, I am not sure on what I should be using.

If you have suggestions, I am open to them!

6 Comments:

At 1:10 PM, Blogger janelle said...

Honey? I am no expert. I use raw, organic sugar most often, but I doubt that counts.

So I couldn't find your email address: I was going to ask you to consider submitting a centerpiece photo [this month] that you are particularly proud of:). Tag you are it! Come visit and see what I have done! Yikes!

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Janelle, Hmm...well, I don't really do any centerpieces because our table is not really, what's the word I'm looking for...formal, I guess?? It's one of those IKEA gateway tables that can fold down, and we usually only have one of the table sides up at all times. Sorry!!! It's kinda embarrassing but it works perfectly in a cramped place in our dining room in our apt! :) I will definitely come see yours though! :)

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger wheresmymind said...

I've heard splenda is super evil!

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger G. said...

I stay away from most sugar substitutes, but I do get a craving for a Diet Coke once in awhile. I use a tiny bit of molasses on my oatmeal and none in my coffee. I don't eat baked goods anymore, so that's out. I am also leery of high fructose corn syrup, just as bad as sugar substitutes. I try to stay "natural" in most of my diet. Try molasses for your baking.

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

G, I use Brown Sugar instead of white when I bake because it actually makes everything so soft. Cakegrrl gave me that tip because everything I baked kept coming out all hard. It was so weird. Maybe I will just use brown sugar from now on, the darker the better (less processed), apparently. Thanks!

 
At 2:32 AM, Blogger Taelia said...

not sure if you are in Washington state Jennifer, but if you are~ Fred meyer carries agave nectar ( it comes from the same plant that tequila is made from, lol~ it's a liquid ~ similar to honey in consistancy)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home