Monday, February 19, 2007

Another MeMe- Five things about me

I was tagged by Garrett of Vanilla Garlic (who is making some delicious and savory looking cupcakes these days! YUM!) to do this little MeMe about well...me! I think I'll do this MeMe based on food memories this time around! Let's see here...

1. I was a picky eater as a child, which is why my dad likes to laugh at me when I'm having trouble trying to get my daughter to eat her vegetables and foods she is not used to. I remember specifically one time at my Grandpa's house (my father's side of the family) how we were forced to eat brussel sprouts (*gag*), so my cousin and I put them in our paper napkin and put that in our pockets, went on the side of Grandpa's house and dumped them there. Of course, they matched the grass so no one found them. Or did they?? I have to wonder about that! Of course, nothing was ever said to us.

2. As a young child I grew up in my Nana's kitchen (this is my mother's side), and I must have been about oh, 4 or 5 years old, and my uncle told me that pork fat was good for me, so it wasn't until my parents saw me eating the pork fat that they put an end to it. As Emeril says, PORK FAT RULES! (Well, it really does only if it's fried and crispy!)

3. My dad and I once baked a marble cake for my mom's birthday (back when they used to have the marble cake mixes in the boxes, like Duncan Hines- remember that? I never see them anymore!). We decided to let it cool overnight and left it on top of the dishwasher on racks. The next morning my then 2 year-old sister went into my parents room and was saying, "This good. This yummy", all the while stuffing her face with the cake we made. I threw a fit (being a 10 year-old) and started crying over her eating the cake. My mom and dad just laughed and dad ended up going back to the store for another mix and made sure we put it far out of my sister's reach.

4. When we were moving to Washington State from California back in May 2003, I had a friend coming by to pick up some old clothes of my daughter's for her children. My mom was there waiting for her and accidentally gave her my brand-new crockpot that my husband scrimped and saved up to get for me that previous Christmas. He was mad and told me he would never buy me another crockpot, but I ended up getting one from his grandmother when we moved up here anyhow. As for the crockpot, I tried to retrieve it from that friend, who sold it to make money off of it (even after the fact that she knew I wanted it back- we are no longer friends suffice it to say!).

5. I want to leave with possibly one of the most touching memories I have in my lifetime. When my daughter and I moved back to Washington State after staying with my father in California, in 2004, my husband was laid off from the job as conditions became icy and there was little to no work. We both were actively seeking work and trying to make ends meet and well, as luck would have it, our cupboards and fridge were starting to look barren, so we swallowed our pride and went to the local food bank. We were greeted by understanding, caring and sympathetic people who offered my daughter a breakfast cereal bar and even had given each family a dessert as a treat. I will never forget their hospitality or how they made me feel like it was okay to swallow my pride and get the help I needed. We only went there twice, but those two times I will never forget and will always hold them dear to my heart.

Now that I am done, I'd love to see Jeff of C is for Cooking, Sher of What Did You Eat?, Lemony of Lemony Lemons, G of New & Improved Mom, and Mommabot do this too! :) If you want to, that is! :)

1 Comments:

At 1:10 PM, Blogger G. said...

Oh, I'm sorry, Jen. I haven't been keeping up with this blog. I have too many blogs! I'm posting my meme now. I hope you're feeling better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home