Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Spam Sushi

This may gross out most of you, but there is such a thing as Spam Sushi. Hard to believe, huh? I guess they will come up with anything. I have to say, and I know some other Filipino people can vouch for this one, I love fried spam with sticky rice, so I am wondering if this Spam Sushi is something I could try out. My mom went to the Spam Festival in Monterey a couple of years ago and wasn't really keen on the Spam Sushi so she did not try it. I thought I'd look up a recipe, and sure enough, I found one on Epicurious.

SPAM SUSHI (HAND ROLL)

Ingredients:

Spam strips, cooked Sato-Shayu style
Sushi rice
Nori (seaweed used to roll sushi)
Cucumber sticks
Radish sprouts
Takuwan strips (Japanese pickled radish)
Wasabi (Japanese horseradish)

Preparation:

SUSHI RICE:
Wash and cook 3 cups Calrose rice. While still hot, season with Vinegar Sauce, or use packaged sushi mix such as Sushi!-No-Ko.

VINEGAR SAUCE:
1/2 cup Japanese rice vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt

Cook until sugar dissolves. Cool. Sprinkle half of vinegar sauce over hot rice; mix gently. Add more vinegar sauce to taste. Or follow instuctions onpackage mix.

SATO-SHOYU STYLE:
Spam sliced or cubed.

SAUCE:
1/4 cup shoyu
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)

Bring sauce to a boil in a small pan. Add Spam, lower heat, and cook 2-3 minutes.

TO ASSEMBLE SUSHI:
Cut a sheet of nori in half. Place nori on your left hand; add a small amount of rice. Add Spam and all or some of the other ingredients. Wrap nori around the filling and toll from left to right.



NOTE from me: Because I am not familiar with sushi, I am curious- what exactly is Sato-Shayu style? I am assuming it's a certain way something is cut, obviously...but I guess I'll be looking that one up as well. I doubt I'll ever go out of my way to try this, but if I ever get a chance to try it somewhere, I sure will.

7 Comments:

At 4:21 PM, Blogger G. said...

That sounds pretty good. I do like Spam; I suppose I'm one of the weird ones.
Hey, I wanted to thank you for supporting me.

 
At 4:57 PM, Anonymous Elizabeth said...

It has been a long time since I was fluent in my Japanese but I think sato shoyu is a sauce with sugar (sato) and fermented soy sauce (shoya).I will ask my friend in Osaka and let you know for sure.

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger lance said...

Hi Jennifer,

Sato Shoyu style is when you saute, whether it be slice hot dog, spam, butterfish (black cod), portuguese sausage, etc. in the mixture of light shoyu, sugar and mirin. Don't quote me on that though, but I think I'm correct. Anyone else? Try it, taste good.

 
At 5:43 PM, Anonymous kate said...

I'm pretty sure Sato-Shayu refers to the way you cook the spam in the shoyu, sugar and mirin. Just a guess, have never heard of it before but Shoyu is soy sauce so... there you go. LOL.

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

You all RAWK! Thank you so much for the information!!!

Someday I shall try this! :)

 
At 7:11 PM, Anonymous Kristen said...

I think there is a SPAM everything... now that I've heard this, I'm sure of it :)

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger sher said...

I like Spam fried, and people often act like I'm some sort of freak when I say that. It really tastes great when you're camping and you fry it up outside over a wood fire. Not sure if I would want the sushi, but I loved reading about that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home