Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Thank you Sac Bee

for the mention in today's paper! How cool is that? Garrett of Vanilla Garlic let me know and I registered and checked it out.

One question I get a lot is where did you come up with the name "Pie Is the New Toast"? Well, it was actually intended as a joke on a message board I frequent. Toast was a joke on a previous board I used to post on but is now defunct. On the other message board, there were a few posters who joked that every poll put up had to have the "PIE" option, so I came up with this name. What at first was meant to be a silly inside joke has blossomed into what has become my baby- this blog. I have bouts of writer's block, but if anything got me back into writing, it was this blog, and I can only express how grateful I am for that.

I was a writer in high school, loved to write short stories, poems and even enjoyed writing essays- so much that I entered the Upward Bound essay contest two years in a row at the Upward Bound Jamboree. I always ended up in second place and when I got that second place in my senior year, I was incredibly bummed out about it. Looking back, I think it was quite a feat. After high school I lost my love for writing and stopped. As soon as I started this blog I started up again and I push myself to continue to write. It's a love I have that with time was forgotten, but I'm slowly easing back into it.

Enough of that- and hey, Sacramento area bloggers- I am still trying to convince my husband to move to the Sac area in the next 3-5 years. Rent and the price of a house up here is getting to be too high, and property taxes are astounding in my county. Maybe someday I'll be able to join you all. (What I would give to be back in California, and Sacramento is only 3-4 hours northeast of Monterey- my real home!)

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 8:09 PM, Blogger TitanKT said...

Hey, Jennifer! I used to live in Lemoore... grew up there, in fact. Lived there from the time I was in 4th grade until we moved to Wash., D.C. after 10th. I've also lived in Monterey, although, I was little (2nd/3rd grades).

I confess, I never would've thought to hear anyone speak wistfully of ANY place in the SJ valley. Monterey was nice, though. I remember really good weather... always cool.

 
At 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats to you on the mention! Very exciting.

 
At 1:28 AM, Blogger cakegrrl2007 said...

Hey you! :)

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Titan, I'll take the dry heat anyday over the humid heat. Not that there's a lot of it for long, but we do get humidity up here in WA. It doesn't stick around too long, thankfully!

Thanks Kristen!

Hey Cakegrrl! That is a mighty cute picture of you!

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger Donna @ Snowbound said...

Cool on the mention J. I so glad you write I love coming to read your blog. D

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Madeline said...

Well, our market is really starting to stink out here, but it should brighted up at some point!

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Madeline, I've been looking at Marysville, and beyond Sac, and the prices are almost CHEAPER than up here, which is nuts. Our market was down last month. They keep raising the property taxes and the price of housing and no one will buy up here. I'm still crossing my fingers for a move back to Cali.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home