Monday, May 28, 2007

Waving my Welcome Summer flag

The weather has already begun to change here. While it's not a glorious Memorial Day today, it is dry and warm yet cloudly. Next week our temperatures will edge up into the mid to high 70s. We've already dug out the fans we put away during the Winter and have them ready to go. I just need to purchase one more for my daughter's room. Air conditioning is not necessarily needed here because it never gets too hot or too humid. Although, in my opinion during late July to early August is when the humidity tends to peak and where you are up at 10pm and clothes are sticking to you. It's just uncomfortable, but bearable. Nothing a cool shower couldn't take care, basically.

My daughter has only a few weeks of school left, my sister is flying out on the 7th to visit us for a few days, there are birthday and end-of-the-year parties to attend, and things to get ready for. I think the one thing I am looking forward to the most is my sister visiting. I haven't seen her in a year and a half! We're planning on going out and going swimming if the weather is nice (which I am sure it will be), and maybe going out to Birch Bay and walking around there and having a picnic.

With the warmer weather I find myself unusually lazy in the kitchen, and waiting til later at night to cook supper so I don't heat our house anymore. A few days ago it was very warm and sticky and I waited til 8pm to cook dinner. There's only so much tuna salad sandwiches my family can handle, so I need to figure out better ways of cooking without turning my house into an oven or a sauna. I guess maybe we could grill meats over the weekend and then stick them in the fridge and reheat in the microwave- that's an idea. The funniest part about this? This is always such a challenge for me every year, despite asking people for ideas and everything. It's like I forget.

I will tell you another thing I am looking forward to- FRESH strawberries, cantaloupe, melon, peaches, and corn on the cob. What is summer without them? Thanks to Kristen of Dine & Dish, she posted this delicious looking Strawbery Cheesecake Trifle Recipe on her blog, and I can't wait to make this! Enjoy!

2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup Cool Whip, thawed
4 tablespoons sugar
1 angel food cake, torn into bite-size pieces
2 quarts fresh strawberries, thinly sliced
  1. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar until fluffy; add sour cream, 1/2 tsp.
  2. vanilla and the almond extract; set aside.
  3. Fold the cool whip into the cream cheese mixture.
  4. Gently stir in cake pieces; set aside.
  5. Combine strawberries and sugar, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
  6. Layer in a large glass bowl, starting with 1/4 of the strawberries, then adding 1/3 of the cake mixture.
  7. Continue layering; finish with strawberries.
  8. Cover with plastic wrap; and chill several hours.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 7:45 PM, Blogger TitanKT said...

Oooh, that DOES sound good. I made us a lightened version of strawberry shortcake for our Memorial Day dessert tonight. I used fat-free Cool Whip which is perfectly delicious. I sweetened the strawberries with just a little Splenda and some balsamic vinegar. And I used a leftover store-bought pie crust to make the short cakes and just brushed those with egg wash and then sprinkled with sugar. They barely took 10 minutes to bake and very tasty!

I live on the south coast of Texas and it's already hotter here (and has been) that it will probably ever get where you are. Makes me a tad jealous, yes it does. However, I'm a complete wuss when it comes to cold so even though the heat gets tedious after so many months in a row, I rather like the humidity and it doesn't matter anyway because I could never tolerate living anywhere that it got real cold for a long time. Brrrr! (You don't have a/c... I don't have heat! LOL!)

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Donna @ Snowbound said...

Two of my favorite desserts in one, I have got to try this one!!

 
At 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is one of my favorite desserts. Everyone loves it... hope you did too!
Bring on the strawberries! Yay!

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Titan, you would hate our winters. We got quite a bit of snow this past November and January, dipping into the negatives!!!

Siuan, I hope to see pictures if you make it!

Kristen, I haven't made it yet but when I do I promise to take pictures. Only problem, I need to buy a clear bowl because everything I have is bright colors. LOL! Yeah, bring on the strawberries! YUM!

 
At 6:40 AM, Blogger Mazenbloo said...

Wow! That sounds amazing!! I will definitely put this on my 'to try soon' list! Yummmy!

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I miss you blogging Mazen! If you make it you have to post a pic and your review too! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home