Monday, July 30, 2007

Cinnamon Pecan Coffee Cake


On Friday night I made MommyChef's Cinnamon Pecan Coffee Cake and it lasted well over the weekend into today, I am proud to say. It was easy to make and a very delicious cake my family enjoyed. Thank you so much, MommyChef!

I don't have a 9x9 pan so I ended up using a 13x9 (I believe) pan and ended up not having two layers of the delicious crumbly topping. That'll be my next household purchase, for sure. The cake itself was light and not too sweet and the crumbly topping was delicious and full of brown sugar-cinnamon-pecan flavor. I think even walnuts would work fabulously on this cake, but I think pecans bring out a different type of flavor. Even while mixing the cake batter for this, it was airy and light and mixed wonderfully. I have to say this is something I'll have to make the next time my sister and mom come visit, I think they would love it!


Here's the recipe:

Cinnamon Pecan Coffee Cake

Topping
3/4 cup pecans, chopped
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

Batter
1/4 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cups flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt


Cream together sugar, vanilla and butter.
Add eggs & milk, beat well.
Mix flour, baking powder& salt.
Slowly stir in the dry ingredients, just until moist.
Grease a 9x9" pan and pour in half of the batter.
Top with half of the nut mixture.
Pour in remaing batter.
Top with remaining nut mixture.
Bake in 375 degrees for about 25 minutes or until a knife comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
Cool for 10 minutes and then remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 6:38 PM, Blogger Sue said...

Jen, Jen, Jen,

Did you use the SAME recipe for the 9 by 13 pan? Try doubling it next time. I almost always make square cakes in a rectangular pan, because a 9" by 9" cake is way too small, BUT THEN you have to double the recipe. The only change may be that you might have to bake it a bit longer, but that's it. So any square brownie or bar or cake recipe can just be doubled and baked in a 9 by 13 pan. Oh, and a pint of blueberries stirred into the batter would be AWESOME!

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Yeh yeh yeh...I know...dumb. I shoulda at least doubled it...I don't know WHAT I was thinking. LOL! I can't stand blueberries! LOL!!

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Mazenbloo said...

You can't stand blueberries? Blasphemy!! LOL

That cake looks wonderful! I am definitely going to have to try it out!

There is a cake recipe I posted on my blog. Might be something you'd like to try someday.

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Sue said...

I'm still trying it with blueberries and I know it'll be good.....

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Mazen, it's the seeds. It's a texture issue for me. I will definitely check out your recipe.

Sue, I'm sure it'll be great, I just don't like blueberries. I hope you take some pics when you make it! Let us know how it turns out.

 
At 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love a good coffee cake.
You deserve that pan...head out this weekend and get yourself one!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home