Monday, July 16, 2007

There is a difference between baking soda and baking powder

I am convinced of this after making my first dessert in a crockpot (ever). I made a "hot fudge Cake Sundae" and had everything the recipe called for - except for the nuts and the baking powder. I substituted Baking Soda and it gave the cake this weird no flavor flavor- if that makes any sense?

Behold- the new crockpot:


And the Hot Fudge Sundae Cake with Vanilla Ice Cream (which helped it a little):



I had a jar of the Calumet Baking Powder, but it had expired, so I threw it out and forgot to replace it. I do need to pick up some as I'm supposed to bake two dozen cookies for an event I'm going to help with on Thursday.

Word to the wise- always keep BOTH Baking Powder and Baking Soda on hand. *Sigh*

Now, to share my Hot Fudge Sundae Cake recipe with you:

Hot Fudge Sundae Cake

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 T. baking cocoa
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup milk
2 T vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chopped nuts
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup baking cocoa
1 1/2 cups hot water

Spray slow cooker with cooking spray. Mix flour, granulated sugar, 2 T cocoa, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Stir in milk, oil and vanilla until smooth. Add nuts. Spread batter evenly in slow cooker.

Mix brown sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa in small bowl. Stir in hot water until smooth. Pour evenly over batter in slow cooker.

Cover and cook on high heat setting for 2 -2 1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Turn off slow cooker and let cake stand uncovered for 30-40 minutes to cool slightly before serving. Spoon cake into dessert dishes and spoon sauce over top. Can be served with ice cream or whipped cream also.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 5:06 PM, Blogger Madeline said...

That is one snazzy looking crock pot!

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger Sue said...

Wow, dessert in a crockpot! That cake sounds awesome, but not enough to go out and buy a crockpot.

If you run out of baking powder again, this is the substitution formula from the Joy of Cooking. For every teaspoon of baking powder, use 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar, 1/3 tsp. (good luck with that) baking soda and 1/8 tsp. salt. I'd leave out the salt, but this does actually work. Make sure you bake it immediately after mixing.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Mehgan said...

Gotta love having a fancy-shmancy crock-pot. I have one that's similar, though, in a Transformers-esque fight, I think your crock-pot could kick my crock-pot's ass. Anyways, I noticed you're from Bellingham, and I wanted to let you know that I grew up in the Ferndale/Custer area, graduated from Ferndale in 2002. I'll have to try this recipe out, it sounds so tasty! Maybe now that the weather has cooled off a bit, I'll have the chance to.

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Sue- that's another thing on my list- Cream of Tartar! Can't make snickerdoodles without it!

Mehgan, LOL!!! I can't believe how beautiful this crockpot is, either...it's like the mega crockpot of the world or something. I've never seen its kind. How cool you are from Whatcom! I'm always looking for people to give me suggestions on restaurants to try out (Whenever I can get around to it...). Thanks for stopping by.

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Mazenbloo said...

I've never seen a crockpot like that in my life! HOW COOL! And she's right! A little transformer'ish. :D I will have to try that. I have a small(er) crockpot and a huge one. What size is that one?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home