Monday, September 04, 2006

Crisco Frosting recipe review

I've decided from now on that I will be making my own frosting if I am going to bake a cake (which is always a box mix cake because baking a cake from scratch is a journey I have not ventured into yet). Anyhow, I looked up a few recipes and found one on Crisco's website. Mind you, I do not have an electric mixer, everything is done by hand, so it takes me a bit longer than what the recipes entail.

Tonight I baked a Lemon cake and decided to make an Almond Buttercream Frosting.

Here is the recipe (and picture) from Crisco as follows:









Buttery Cream Frosting

4 cups confectioners' sugar
1/3 cup Butter Flavor CRISCO all-vegetable shortening or 1/3 Butter Flavor CRISCO Stick
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
7 -8 tablespoons milk

In medium mixing bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, Butter Flavor Crisco, and vanilla.
Slowly blend in milk to desired consistency.
Beat on high speed for 5 minutes, or until smooth and creamy.




I substituted Imitation Almond Extract for the Vanilla and I don't think it went real well with the Lemon cake. I thought it would, but it just didn't taste right. While making the frosting, I have to say that I am amazed at how much confectioner's sugar is needed to make frosting- WOW! That is a LOT of sugar! Never realized how much sugar was in frosting til now! After mixing it well it resembled what I was used to seeing out of a can, but tasted a lot different than the frosting in a can. I wasn't too fond of it at first but then it dawned on me that I put Almond frosting on a Lemon cake and maybe it wasn't meshing well together.

I'll review the next recipe I have the next time I bake a cake. I don't know why I never made frosting from scratch before. I've ventured into baking breads, pies, and cookies from scratch- but never cakes or frosting. Frosting is so easy compared to the other stuff I have baked. So I guess I can consider it a lesson learned.

8 Comments:

At 10:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you on that. I went to a wedding once and the wedding cake was a carrot cake with Chocolate cream cheese icing. I didn't have a clue as to how to make it, but a quick e-mail to Chef Andre of ACafe at kathyireland.com and all was solved. THe cake came out great the icing even better. I make all my icings now.

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I dunno... I have a fear of Crisco.

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Anon, thanks for the website, I booked that one! I think I'll email him as well!

Garrett, Crisco is SOOOOO bad for you...I never have this stuff on hand, but I bought a small container to try out the frosting recipe...blargh.

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger paguy55 said...

THANKS JENNIFER FOR THE RECIPE I WILL BE USING IT TO MAKE MY NEIGHBORS 70TH B-DAY CAKE...HAPPY HOLIDAYS JEN

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger paguy55 said...

thanks for the recipe Jen...HAPPY HOLIDAYS...

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger paguy55 said...

HEY JEN USED THE RECIPE YOU POSTED,CAME OUT GREAT BUT ONLY USE HALF A RECIPE BECAUSE THE CHOCOLATE SYRUP CAKE WAS SMALLER THAN I THOUGHT...HAPPY HOLIDAYS

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Quick question: I noticed you mentioned substituting almond extract for the vanilla. Why? We had a local bakery that everyone had high hopes for, but they insisted on using almond extract in everything they made. They lasted 5 months before going under. I bought gorgeous-looking cinnamon rolls to serve guests and they were HORRIBLE. Only one person ate the whole roll and she said she only did it out of politeness. Next time I stopped at the bakery I knew to ask if the frosted cookies had almond extract and the clerk said they did. I asked if there was anything without almond extract and she said it was in everything ... even the CHOCOLATE baked goods! I asked if I could order baked goods without the almond extract and she said many people have requested it but the baker refused to change her "wonderful" recipes to suit us. As I said, they lasted all of 5 months.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

You know I am not exactly sure but I really like almond extract. You could use any extract you like. This was posted a few years back, I don't touch crisco with a 10 foot pole anymore. LOL!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home