Friday, September 01, 2006

No Potato Left Behind

Don't get me started on the stupid system that is NCLB (No Child Left Behind)...but let's discuss my non-political take on it, NPLB- No Potato Left Behind. So, Mr. Pie decided he would go to the store on Sunday and pick up the best baking potatoes you could find. He didn't just buy the 3 we needed for that night- no, he picked up an ENTIRE paper bag full of them (I'd say about...10 or 12 of them). So I was stuck in a rut and seeing as potatoes tend to go bad in this apartment of ours rather quickly (why, I don't know!), I made good use of them. I suppose I could have made a potato salad, but I didn't think of that *Smacks hand to forehead*- DOH!

So Monday night, I decided to make mashed potatoes along with a meatloaf. That took care of most of the potatoes, and was enough to leave for leftovers til Wednesday. Wednesday night I took the last three potatoes and baked them, because I was feeling rather lazy.

So by Wednesday night, I had used up all of the potatoes Mr. Pie decided to pick up. We generally have a rule of No (food item inserted here) Left Behind, as we know what it's like to go without.

3 Comments:

At 7:23 PM, Blogger jouettelove said...

meatloaf and mashed potatoes has always been one of my very favorite meals since I was a child. mmm. my tummy's growling.

i love your no -food- left behind rule, we try to live by that too, and with 7 of us, it's rare anything gets left behind, lol.

p.s. and i am SO with you about NCLB, grr.

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I hate wasting food...my mom had a family of 11 and they know what it's like to go without food, so it was instilled in my sister and I.

Mashed potatoes and meatloaf is just like comfort food, know what I mean?? :) I'll have to post my recipe someday!

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

With winter coming up, we make a lot of mashed potatoes. We do three varieties, 1)garlic and cheese, 2)wasabi powder, or 3)soft goat cheese and sage

Plus, that last one, the leftovers make for great potato pancakes the next day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home