Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Spam Sushi

This may gross out most of you, but there is such a thing as Spam Sushi. Hard to believe, huh? I guess they will come up with anything. I have to say, and I know some other Filipino people can vouch for this one, I love fried spam with sticky rice, so I am wondering if this Spam Sushi is something I could try out. My mom went to the Spam Festival in Monterey a couple of years ago and wasn't really keen on the Spam Sushi so she did not try it. I thought I'd look up a recipe, and sure enough, I found one on Epicurious.

SPAM SUSHI (HAND ROLL)

Ingredients:

Spam strips, cooked Sato-Shayu style
Sushi rice
Nori (seaweed used to roll sushi)
Cucumber sticks
Radish sprouts
Takuwan strips (Japanese pickled radish)
Wasabi (Japanese horseradish)

Preparation:

SUSHI RICE:
Wash and cook 3 cups Calrose rice. While still hot, season with Vinegar Sauce, or use packaged sushi mix such as Sushi!-No-Ko.

VINEGAR SAUCE:
1/2 cup Japanese rice vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt

Cook until sugar dissolves. Cool. Sprinkle half of vinegar sauce over hot rice; mix gently. Add more vinegar sauce to taste. Or follow instuctions onpackage mix.

SATO-SHOYU STYLE:
Spam sliced or cubed.

SAUCE:
1/4 cup shoyu
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)

Bring sauce to a boil in a small pan. Add Spam, lower heat, and cook 2-3 minutes.

TO ASSEMBLE SUSHI:
Cut a sheet of nori in half. Place nori on your left hand; add a small amount of rice. Add Spam and all or some of the other ingredients. Wrap nori around the filling and toll from left to right.



NOTE from me: Because I am not familiar with sushi, I am curious- what exactly is Sato-Shayu style? I am assuming it's a certain way something is cut, obviously...but I guess I'll be looking that one up as well. I doubt I'll ever go out of my way to try this, but if I ever get a chance to try it somewhere, I sure will.

5 Comments:

At 4:21 PM, Blogger G. said...

That sounds pretty good. I do like Spam; I suppose I'm one of the weird ones.
Hey, I wanted to thank you for supporting me.

 
At 4:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has been a long time since I was fluent in my Japanese but I think sato shoyu is a sauce with sugar (sato) and fermented soy sauce (shoya).I will ask my friend in Osaka and let you know for sure.

 
At 5:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure Sato-Shayu refers to the way you cook the spam in the shoyu, sugar and mirin. Just a guess, have never heard of it before but Shoyu is soy sauce so... there you go. LOL.

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

You all RAWK! Thank you so much for the information!!!

Someday I shall try this! :)

 
At 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think there is a SPAM everything... now that I've heard this, I'm sure of it :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home