Sunday, March 04, 2007

Looking for a Filipino dessert recipe

When I was a child, my Nana used to find someone to take her and me to this Filipino specialty store called Fajilan's (I think that was how it was spelled) in Seaside, California. I used to get Pocky (those sticks dipped in chocolate or strawberry sauce), or those rice paper covered candies (hated the candies but loved the dissolving rice paper on them). On certain days, Nana would buy me a sandwich ziplock bag of a dessert she called "cuncanun" (okay I'm spelling it out as it sounds). It looked like white bread, but was spongy and more translucent and had a sweet flavor to it. When Fajilan's closed, the dessert I grew up with and loved went away as well.

So I did a Google search on "Steamed Rice Flour dessert" and found the following:

Chow Times had a dessert called Pak Thong Koh, which looks VERY familiar to the spongy dessert cake I coveted as a child. I wonder if this is it, and I'm wondering where the country of origin is for Pak Thong Koh. Thailand? Vietnam? If anyone knows please let me know!

Another one they had on their website was Cassava Cake, which I have seen pictures of and while it also looks familiar, texture-wise it's not quite as spongy as the Pak Thong Koh, so I'm wondering about this one too.

Then I saw a picture from a comment on Chowhound, which looked a LOT like the dessert I'm dying to replicate.

If you know what I am talking about and have a recipe, please let me know. It's more on the spongy side and not heavy whatsoever and was a transculent white.

Ahhh, memories!!! Nana doesn't know how to make it, otherwise I would ask her.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dood! My DH has one... at least, I think so. He's checking right now & I will share it with you if he does.

Thing is... that's what we call it, but then they all get vague on what it really is and I'm never quite sure... lol.

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

ooh!! Thank you so much!!!

I called my Nana and she said it's called PUTO. I have looked at recipes for PUTO but I guess each one varies. I should try it sometime. When my mom flies up here to visit in April Nana is sending me some from the new local Filipino store. Awwww.

 
At 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, here is the thing.

What his 92 year old auntie calls "Kangkanin" is a sweet rice and coconut milk concoction.

What you are describing, they know as "Bibingkang" - except that he thinks that's the kind of general word for "dessert". I've e-mailed my MIL to see if I can get that recipe from her.

But whenever I search recipes online, I usually see them listed the other way around, so I am very confused. LOL.

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Kangkanin! That is it! Definitely keep me posted if you find it.

I'm drooling over the thought of this. LOL!!

 
At 8:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to update you! MIL has been in Vegas for a few days, but she is now back and on the hunt for the Bibingkang dessert that sounds like what you are seeking!

And I'm so making these myself when I get my hands on them, lol. I'm going to put them on my blog probably, but I will also e-mail you.

Smoochies.

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Oh you totally rock, I can't wait to see pictures. I am still waiting on my bamboo steamer! I am dying for some of this! My nana said she'll send some home with my mom when my mom flies here...but I don't know if my mom will get to see her before she leaves!

 
At 7:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi !!!I'm Vennis and I'm a filipina...well, we have this recipe that my mom loves to make when we have company over for lunch or dinner and she usually gets raves about it.I don't know if this is authentic Filipino dessert but I grew up eating it for snacks & desserts.
*Maja Blanca*
400 grams cornstarch
1 tall can evaporated milk(around 400 ml.)
400 grams granulated sugar
10 cups thick coconut milk
1 stick butter (divided into 2)
*1 can corn kernels(preferably the sweet creamed type) or
*- can crushed pineapple drained

mix the cornstarch evaporated milk half the sugar until smooth.add half the corn or pinepple.
in a vat or a large saucepan bring to boil the coconut milk stirring it to avoid making it curdle.add the remaining sugar, corn or pineapple and halt of the butter...
when it is on rolling boil slowly add the cornstarch mixture(dont forget to stir the cornstarch mixture coz it hardens)continue stirring until the color turns to a darker shade...not the snow white color of the coconut milk that is ^_^.continue stiring for another 8- 10 minutes. remove from fire and pour into moulds.brush the top with remaining butter and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. if you have toasted coconut flakes or chopped nuts you can throw it in as topping. you can also substitute the corn kernels with chopped nuts, shredded ripe jackfruit,dried mangoes.

 
At 4:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi im dori from the philippines, the maja blanca kakanin can be eaten with toasted coconut called budbod, or latik which i dont recomend because its tedious to make instead i grate some cheese on the finished product,happy cooking

 

Post a Comment

<< Home