Thursday, February 22, 2007

Silicone bakeware

I ordered some silicone bakeware back in October of last year and I honestly am not a fan of it. I've used what I have a few times and each time it would bake the cake nicely, but my problem was getting it out of the bakeware itself. I've tried spraying it with the Pam with Flour spray to leaving it alone (since it's supposed to slide right out). Everytime, the top of the cake would split in two, half of the cake on my serving platter and the other half still stuck in the silicone bakeware.

I have exhausted all other means of trying to get my cakes out perfectly from the silicone bakeware I received. My question is, if you own silicone bakeware, do you have the same problems? Could it be the brand of silicone bakeware I have? (I ordered this from Collections Etc. in October, it's a holiday silicone bakeware set.) What kinds of things do you do to ensure you cake comes out perfectly?

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't own any but have often wondered about it. I use the exact same cookie sheet every time I make cookies. The exact same cake pan every time I make a cake. I'm such a creature of habit... its hard for me to try something new!

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger jef said...

I'd hate to say it, but if it isn't made my Demarle (flexipan/silpat people) it's most likely junk.

I've used the consumer versions and there was always problems. Demarle invented the stuff, so I stick with them.

You may want to try freezing the whole thing (cake and all) to try and get it out cleanly. That usually works fine with the flexipans.

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger Donna @ Snowbound said...

I don't own any but have been thinking about it after seeing the Smartware infomercal. But I'm not sure I would use it that much. I hope that someone posts a good way to free your cakes.

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Jef, thank you for the head's up! I bet it's not Demarle, and it's probably just a knockoff version or something like that.

Thanks for letting me know!

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger janelle said...

Hmmmm. I have the silpat liners and LOVE them, especially for rolling out dough. BUT the only other silicone piece I have is an ice cube tray and honestly they don't pop out, I have to warm up the silicone and beckon a bit of patience to get out those stubborn cubes. BUT it isn't the Demarle brand, either.

Good question!

 
At 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't say for cakes, but I bought a silicone muffin tin, and it works fabulous. My old tin would burn, stick, and not cook through, but no problems with this one. I always lightly grease it, and the muffins/cupcakes fall out with ease.

However, it doesn't sound like it works well with larger items as you mention.

Mine was just a cheapy generic from Long's, not sure of the brand.

 
At 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a silpat fan as well. I love my cookie sheet and the muffins come out clean every time.
I have often wondered about the knock-offs... they look very similar.
For the diference in price, a Demarle will last forever. At least I haven't found a way to ruin it yet. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home