Friday, May 18, 2007

Jennifer's Roasted Chicken recipe

I love roasted chicken- and I recently got some roasting pans, one with a rack, for Christmas. I put it to good use the other day and decided to make another roasted chicken. Everytime I decide to cook a whole fryer chicken I try to do it differently and play around with the seasonings and spices to see what tastes good. The one I tried the other night was a bit crazy, but it sure hit the spot.

Here's what I did:

1/4 cup of softened butter (for chicken)
3-4 lb Whole Chicken Fryer
Onion salt to desire
Ginger to desire (I only had ground but I do want to try grated Ginger someday)
3 cloves of garlic (whole)
Pepper to taste

1. Preheat your oven to 350°F, clean your chicken out and put aside gizzards, liver, heart, neck, etc (or in my case- throw it out!). Place on rack in a roasting pan and pat dry with a paper towel.

2. Get your softened butter and rub the chicken down all over (breast side up- don't worry about getting butter on the underside- unless you like it that way), put some of the butter in the inside cavity of the chicken. Wash your hands off good (with soap!) and put all 3 cloves of garlic inside the cavity of the chicken, spice up the chicken up with the onion salt, ground Ginger, and Pepper. Stick a meat thermometer in the thigh and put in the oven.

3. It took me about 1 hour and 45 minutes for it to cook thoroughly, if you don't have a thermometer, just follow this chart given by the USDA:

Approximate Chicken Cooking Times
Type of Chicken Weight Roasting
350 °F
Simmering Grilling
Whole broiler fryer+ 3 to 4 lbs. 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hrs. 60 to 75 min. 60 to 75 min*

4. Let cool down for about 15-20 minutes so juices settle and then cut up and serve.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband does this too. We never have the same chicken twice, it seems! LOL.

The other night he made one with herbs de Provence. Tasty! Your ginger/garlic method sounds pretty good, maybe we'll try that next. :-)

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I've never had Herbs de Provence, I should try that one sometime! Let me know what you think of the garlic/ginger combo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home