Sunday, May 06, 2007

A Taste of Yellow

I told myself come hell or highwater I was going to do this blog challenge. I came down with the flu this weekend and have pretty much been sleeping, coughing and taking a ton of Day/Nyquil.

A Taste of Yellow was brought to my attention by the lovely Kristen of Dine & Dish and was pioneered by the owner of the Winos & Foodies blog. To get a better idea of what A Taste of Yellow is, here you are:

LIVESTRONG Day is the Lance Armstrong Foundation's (LAF) grassroots advocacy initiative to unify people affected by cancer and to raise awareness about cancer survivorship issues on a national level and in local communities across the country. LIVESTRONG Day 2007 will occur on Wednesday, May 16.

The theme is a yellow colored food, and while I had something a bit more tantalizing in idea (I was in between a Cheddar Cauliflower casserole or even the Pineapple Banana Bread I've been dying to try), but due to being sick, I had to come up with something that I could work with and wouldn't require a lot of prep/cooking time. I recently checked out Sandra Lee's 20 Minute Meals from the library and found a recipe for a Carmelized Banana & cookie/ice cream dessert, so I took what she had there, minus the cookies and ice cream and added some butter poundcake instead. It was fairly simple to make, except I let my bananas ripen a bit too much, so the bananas were mushy.


So, in the end, here is the recipe I used:

4 underripe bananas, diced on a slant (quarter sized pieces)
1/8th of a stick of butter
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1/2 tsp of Cinnamon
Ready-to-eat/serve Butter Poundcake
Ice cream or Cool Whip for garnish (optional)

1. Allow the butter to melt in a skillet. When it's melting and bubbly, add your diced bananas and allow to cook up in the butter sauce.
2. Add the Cinnamon and Brown sugar to the skillet and stir and incorporate it in all together, allow to simmer down.
3. Slice poundcake to desire and spoon the banana mixture on top. Add vanilla ice cream or cool whip on top if you desire.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,
I am sorry about your cold, but just wanted you to know that you inspired me to cook yellow. I did Key Lime Pie .

P.S. I love the name of your blog. I've always thought that pie should be a breakfast food.

 
At 6:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks really good, especially for being under the weather.
Hope you feel better soon!

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Italian woman- I will definitely check your blog out. Yum...Key Lime Pie. And I agree- pie should be a breakfast food. Especially key lime pie! :)

Kristen, thank you! I'm actually up and about today so I am hoping the worst end of it is over. I was pretty much in bed all day Saturday and half of yesterday too.

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I hope you are feeling better now Jennifer. Thankyou for your entry. It looks delicious.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home