Monday, June 04, 2007

Buying and investing in local food markets

Today in the Bellingham Herald's paper was an article about shareholding and investing in local farms, and at the same time being able to get delivery of these fresh foods. I thought about it and how I don't necessarily like to go shopping for produce on a weekly basis. If I could save myself the hassle and have it directly delivered to me, while helping a local farm, I am all for it. Of course, I must speak to my husband about it, but I think this is a worthy investment and cause.

We live in a farming area and as much as possible we prefer to buy local, local dairy and we have been supplementing our meat in our diet with meat from a local meat company, Sundance Beef Company, which is competitive in prices and often has wonderful deals. During the summer we stop off at the various fruit and vegetable stands all over the county and enjoy fresh produce.

The idea of helping a farm grow and helping by investing in that farm is something I am very interested in. With the scare of e.coli and other contaminants, I would prefer to know where my food is coming from and prefer it to come from a local source. Then again, I was born in the "Salad Bowl" of the world- Salinas, California, and we used to live in northern Salinas by the strawberry fields, so I can appreciate agriculture and perhaps start helping. I may not be a farming type of person (I have the world's blackest thumb), but if investing in farms can help, perhaps that is something we can do as a family.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 10:29 AM, Blogger almariada said...

Just to say I hapened to read your blog and I like it! :) I live in a very rural area in Portugal and I hope in the future we can also support our farmers and get fresh local products! Sounds really good!

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I believe supporting your local economy is vital to your town's survival. I believe in my town...be it as small as it is, and while I may lament on how much I miss California, this place is beginning to feel like home. Can't believe I'm admitting it, but I can't see us moving out of this area anytime soon and wouldn't want to either!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home