Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Everything in moderation, right?

Another problem I have during the summer is making sure I drink more water than iced tea. During the summer there's always a pitcher of sweet iced tea in my fridge, which makes it easy for me to go straight for that (since it's refreshing) instead of what I should be drinking more of- water. Typically speaking, I drink anywhere from 4-7 gallons of water a week, depending on my intake. During the summer it will dwindle down to 2-3 gallons a week due to the fact that I'm probably chugging more iced tea than anything else.

Also, I don't use aspartame sweeteners in my tea- I use sugar. Not that most healthy thing, but I'd rather use sugar than aspartame. I am anticipating the opening of Trader Joe's here in Bellingham so I can see if they have the Agave Nectar or Stevia so I can use that as a sugar substitute instead.

The main thing I have to remember is that moderation is key, but when it's a nice warm day and you're just relaxing, who doesn't want to go for something a little sweet and refreshing? Maybe if I keep my freezer stocked with ice this summer I'll drink more water. I always find that drinking water with ice makes it easier to actually enjoy drinking water and makes it easier to forget about the sweet iced tea.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 7:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah yes, I love me some tea! On weekdays I only get one 44oz. bucket of it, though. The rest of the day I refill my trough with water, so I do pretty good. Oh, and... I'm apparently the one lone person in the south who does NOT like sweet tea. I think sweetener/sugar interferes with that good brewy flavor of tea and coffee.

It's handy, though, the not liking of the sweet. That means I can cool brew my tea with Lipton bags plus fruit essence Celestial Seasonings cold brew bags and have tea that smells like raspberries or peaches, but is still not sweet. You can't get that ANYwhere else!

And all I do is throw the water and bags in the pitcher and stick it in the fridge. No brewing, no mixing/melting of sugar, etc. It does it's thing without much help from me beyond the initial introduction and in short order, I have tea! Glorious tea!

 
At 6:50 AM, Blogger wheresmymind said...

Yeah...make unsweetened Ice T then keep some equal or something like that around!

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Titan, see, it HAS to be sweetened for me...and I can't drink anything but regular ole tea. I don't like the flavored stuff. LOL!!

J, Equal is aspartame- not good! We actually had a bulk box of it that we threw out when we saw those studies on cancer linked to aspartame. I just need Stevia or Agave Nectar (natural).

 
At 4:26 AM, Blogger Deb Schiff said...

Hey Jen,

Nice blog! Trader Joe's does not carry agave nectar, regrettably. You can get it in bulk (less expensive) from Amazon.com here. It winds up being about $3.30 a bottle. Free shipping as well.

 
At 7:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just made my first pot of sun tea this week. I like the sugar in it but would just as soon have it plain.

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Deb, thank you so much!

Kristen, ooh sun tea. Now THAT is the best tea. My friend's mom used to make that throughout the summer...talk about refreshing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home