Saturday, June 02, 2007

Product rave

It's truly a simple product that I am sure most everyone has- a meat thermometer. Ever since I bought it for the turkey for last year's Thanksgiving, I have been using that baby for everything. Last night I made a beef roast in the oven and used the thermometer and I will tell you, I honestly had no idea how long I was supposed to cook it for, so I set my timer for 45 minutes, checked the thermometer after that and it was not quite done yet, so set it for another 30 minutes and lo and behold- I ended up with a perfect roast. Medium well.

Next time a friend calls me for advice on how to cook a London Broil or a roast of any kind, I will tell them to buy a meat thermometer. It's the best way to gauge when meat is done.

Also that thermometer is awesome when it comes to roasting chickens.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, Blogger Donna @ Snowbound said...

Yes, this a product we use almost everyday for perfect meat. I never would have thought we'd use one regularly but we do.

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger sher said...

I have been complaining for months that I need a good meat thermometer! OK, it's settled--I'm going to stop complaining and get one!

 
At 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have the kind you stick in and leave in or do you have the kind you have to poke the meat with and then pull out?

Because if you have the second kind, just beware that poking a hole in the meat can let some or all of the juicy goodness out.

What's really handy is a thermometer that's really more a sort of probe. You stick it in the meat and then there's a cord attached that runs to an exterior thermometer and you can set it to beep when the meat reaches a certain temperature, ala a temperature timer. Also, you can then leave that one in until the meat has rested so that you don't let all the juices out.

Those are cheap at cooking stores and you could probably even find one at a WalMart.

That's the kind we always use to cook our Christmas prime rib and it's perfectly cooked every time.

 
At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We use ours all the time. Very worthy of the mention here!

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Titan, the one I have is the one you stick in. It was fairly cheap and it works like a charm, even has a guide to what temp to take the meat out of (like 160 for medium well beef, etc). Love it!

 
At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right you are about how important a good meat thermometer is. And one for the oven and refrigerator is a good idea too.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Mazenbloo said...

Yes! We have a probe thermometer and we LOVE it! Stick it in the meat and stick it in the oven. Beeps at me when the meat is ready to be taken out based on the temp I set it at. It's AWESOME!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home