Sunday, November 12, 2006

Recipe Review- Banana Cream Cheese Bread


I got this one from Mazenbloo after asking for advice on problems with bread becoming too crusty. This was something she got off of All-Recipes and modified her recipe a bit (there are notes in this recipe). I actually didn't use pecans (didn't have them handy) but made a brown sugar-cinnamon type of topping for the bread, which was good!!!


INGREDIENTS

* 1/2 cup margarine, softened
* 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
* 1 1/4 cups white sugar (I actually use 3/4 brown and 1/2 white sugar for this)
* 2 eggs
* 3 ripe mashed bananas
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 3/4 cup chopped pecans
* 2 tablespoons brown sugar
* 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

DIRECTIONS
~~~***I don't do the stuff in the middle (nuts/sugar/cinnamon). I put the cinnamon in the dry ingredients with the bread. But I do the nuts/brown sugar for the top for sort of a struesel type topping. :D)

1. Cream the butter or margarine and cream cheese together. Gradually add the sugar, and continue beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the mashed bananas and vanilla. Add flour, baking powder, and soda; mix until batter is just moist.

2. In a small bowl, mix together chopped pecans, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, and cinnamon.

3. Divide 1/2 batter into two greased and floured 8x4 inch loaf pans. Sprinkle pecan mixture over batter in pans, and top with remaining batter.

4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

The result?? SOFT and delicious banana bread. Oh man...this was the best. I made this earlier this week but had no time to write about it. I took one of the loaves to my SIL and she is in love with it. We're going to be using this recipe from now on!

Thanks Mazen!!! :)

10 Comments:

At 3:19 PM, Blogger Cairo The Boxer said...

Mmmmm I have to tell my mom to make some of this. Thanks for the add.

 
At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love love love Banana bread....like the blog too. keep up the good work

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger Mazenbloo said...

Awww! Yay!! I'm so glad you tried it! I think it's really quite a good banana bread recipe! :D

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Mmm, banana bread! I also need to get that tea that you and cakegrrl keep suggesting!

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Donna @ Snowbound said...

Ooo, this looks good and I have extra cream cheese in the fridge and my bananas just ripened. I think I'll do some more baking today.

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger cakegrrl said...

Ah... I see the brown sugar is working...

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Thanks Cairo & Brady! :)

Mazen, a million thank yous over and over again. My SIL, BIL, DH, DD, and nephews LOVED the bread.

Garrett, there are other tea varieties too, including a Sugar Plum. That sounds sooooo good! Let us know what you think!

Siuan, let us know what you think!

Cakegrrl, thank you SOOOOO much, but another question- how do you convert white to brown sugar?? Like for 1 cup of white it's 1.5 cups of brown sugar? How does that work?? I plan on using mostly brown and part white sugar from now on. Thank you!!!

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger cakegrrl said...

I have always used it in the same ratio. :)

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger cakegrrl said...

But don't forget to pack it down.

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Ahh, for some reason I thought you were supposed to use more brown sugar to white sugar. Thank you for letting me know though! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home