Sunday, March 09, 2008

Restaurant Review- Chihuahua's Mexican Restaurant, Ferndale, WA

I have heard so much hype about this restaurant and how awesome it is. It's so awesome it's always packed and I have never ventured in there because of that fact. We decided to go real early before the Friday night dinner rush a few weeks ago and surprisingly enough, it was not even packed. Anyhow...I had been dying to find another good Mexican restaurant in Whatcom County to try out, and for the past few years I have been trying to get to this one. I will say it was definitely worth the wait, and we'll be back, but definitely before the dinner rush!

We were seated and given our drinks (I ordered a HUGE frozen Margarita- let's just put it this way- it was loaded with Tequila or whatever it is that they put in Margaritas...so loaded I had a major buzz going home- of course I had a designated driver!), and they gave us some chips with their homemade salsa- two different variations. One was a chunky salsa with no liquid, and the other one was almost very liquidy. I really liked the chunky salsa, and knew that I would pay dearly in the end for it (which I did, but I can't help myself, it was so good. TUMS are your friend, people). We decided to order an appetizer of their super nacho plate and put our orders in. I absolutely love Carnitas (shredded pork), so I ordered the Carnitas dinner plate. Miss Finicky (aka my daughter) had the Enchilada plate, and my husband ordered a Carne Asada plate.

The nachos were absolutely delicious, tons of cheese, meat, fresh guacamole and sour cream (and the accompanying tomatos, onions, and olives). By the time our plates of food were served to us, I was almost stuffed. I ate about maybe 1/5th of my plate and ended up taking the rest home (we all actually took most of our dinners and the nachos home). It was absolutely delicious though- depending on your order, you get fresh corn or flour (your choice) tortillas. Now, I will say that only one person up to that part had won my heart with her freshly made flour tortillas, and that was one of my BFF's from high school, Lucy's mother. Lucy's mother passed away on May 10th, 2006, and I'll never forget her as long as I live. Not to get too off-topic, but her mother was like a mother to me, and to win my affection in terms of homemade tortillas, it takes a lot- and this restaurant did just that. Now, no one makes them like Lucy's mom did- but it was still so very delicious. Anyhow, back on topic- my Carnitas were DELICIOUS and they were served with a salad, pinto beans (not refried or pureed) and the tortillas. I believe my plate alone was $12.95, but it was a fair price for such a huge serving.

In the end, we were most pleased with the service, the atmosphere (very vibrant colors in the restaurant which my daughter loved), and the food, of course. After all was said and done, we spent about $70 (including tip) on our dinner. The prices are the same as you would find in any other place in Whatcom County in a Mexican restaurant, but the servings are huge, large enough for left-overs for the next night. I give Chihuahua's a 5/5!

You can find Chihuahua's at:

5694 3rd Avenue
Ferndale, WA 98248
(360) 384-5820

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 1:46 PM, Blogger Mehgan said...

Ohhhh, I LOVE Chihuahua's!! I used to go there on my lunches when I was in high school (I was, of course, late to my after-lunch classes, but it was well worth it). I remember many a birthday party being had there in my family. This is my mom's favorite restaurant (besides the Black Forest Steakhouse in Everson).

 
At 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just might have to make a trip up there just for this restaurant! Mexican is my fave :)

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Mehgan, Black Forest in Everson has good food. Did you hear the brothers are in court in a dispute over the name bc one of them opened up a "Black Forest" on Barkley Blvd in Bellingham?

Jouette, if you come up, let me know! We'll have to do a get together! :)

 
At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jennifer, I'll bet you didn't expect to get a comment about Chihuahua's from a guy in North Carolina. I worked at Alcoa's Intalco Plant for about a year. In my book, Chihuahua's is second only to the kitchen in my Washington State Mom's home. (It's a secret location in Ferndale...I can't give it away, or everyone will want to eat dinner at her house!) I agree with everything you said in your review of Chihuahua's Mexican Restaurant: Great atmosphere, good service, delicious food and large portions, all at a reasonable price. You are also correct in stating that it pays to avoid the peak rush hours around noon and dinner time, although "dinner time" can go on for several hours on Friday and Saturday nights. I also enjoyed eating at The Black Forest in Everson...That's a totally different dining experience from Chihuahua's. One could say that the two restaurants are "ocean's apart" in their approach to atmosphere and good food.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home