Saturday, January 19, 2008

NFB: Update on my teeth/gums

As mentioned previously, I had some work done to my teeth to try to stop my Gum Disease from progressing. I had a cleaning/perio charting done, then I had a root scaling/planing procedure done (also known as deep cleaning) and then I had the remaining 3 wisdom teeth I had taken out. I went in last Saturday to find out where the pockets of my gums were after all of these procedures and the home care I have been doing to help with it. It turns out that my gums are in far better shape this time around! The procedures and my home care have paid off.

When you have Periodontal (Gum) Disease, they typically want your "pockets" of your gums to be under 3 mm (or was it 4?). A lot of my pockets in October were in the 5-7 mm range. By the end of my appointment I found out most of my gums were in the 2-4 mm range and only ONE of my pockets had a 5 mm depth.

I can't stress enough how important it is to take care of these problems before they get worse- my father has it and has implants and has to undergo regular root canals because of how bad the disease has progressed. The less you have to worry about with your gums, the better off you are- and you can help lower your chances of heart disease as well, apparently!

So all of that pain, all of the care, and all of the money invested paid off, I am happy to report. If you haven't seen a dentist for a regular cleaning or check up on your gums, I definitely recommend it...it's worth it! Your gum health is a lot more important than you think! (Trust me, I had no clue until June of last year!)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home