Friday, February 01, 2008

Constant Craving, Part II

I have been immersed in my training at my new job and am absolutely enjoying it. However, maybe it's due to the weather, maybe it's all the knowledge I am feeding my brain at work, but for some odd reason, for the past three days, food has been a constant thought on my mind. We talked about food in class, and I'd get hungry. I started packing larger lunches too, which is not something I normally do. I'd get home and even though I had eaten lunch about five hours before, I was hungry. One of my supervisors joked, "maybe you are pregnant!" Not likely, considering all of my problems (as mentioned in the past).

I would love to blame it on winter and feeling ready to hibernate, but I am not sure what is going on. Maybe a fluctuation in my body of some sort? Hormonal shift/change? I don't know but I'm eating like I'm eating for two again, which is wrong. I am not pregnant. Trust me, there's no way. Well, there is but it's an extremely small chance. I don't know but I wish it would go away. Another thing that happened was I had lost a pants size and noticed about a week or so ago, and all of a sudden, I've gained the weight back in the last week! What is up with that? Ugh, it sucks being a woman sometimes.

My husband is going grocery shopping tomorrow and letting me stay home (I slipped and fell in the parking lot on Wednesday and I'm sore all over- more on that in a minute), and all I can think of is, FOOD! Glorious food! I mean, I even cooked last week for cripe's sake- something I have done on a regular basis in months (I am not kidding you- as you can tell from my lack of posting I have been busy with life and work, and I don't care to cook anymore). I cooked. Good food too. Nothing spectacular but nothing that was packaged and processed either. I'm trying here...please forgive me, fellow foodies, for I have strayed. I'm trying to get back on the cooking bandwagon, and my increased appetite gave me a boost and I cooked finally. Imagine my husband's surprise- "you cooked? Are you serious? you didn't buy this?" No, I did not. I swear. We are working on frugality and working on saving money and I am trying my hardest. But I'm so hungry, and I can't stop my appetite!

While I contemplate Slim-Fasting my way to curbing my appetite, I am faced with another dilemma- the desire to eat more healthy foods on a frugal budget. Is it possible? I haven't been necessarily eating bad (okay, except for tonight, we went out to dinner with a former co-worker of mine), but I have been eating too much and have been desiring certain foods, such as healthier foods, crunchy veggies, fruits, fish, and even unhealthy foods (for example, right now I am really craving donuts). I honestly cannot remember a time when I had such a huge appetite. I may be a big girl, but that doesn't mean I shovel the food in! I do have some restraint! (Well not lately, but I normally do.)

And yes, we had snow here on Tuesday, enough to cancel school and make it impossible for me to drive to work. So on Wednesday, I went back, and on my way down the hill by my house, I started sliding despite the fact that 1, I was only doing 5-10 mph, and 2, I have studded snow tires. I could not get my truck to stop, and I saw myself headed towards cars in front of me and cars to the left and right of me. On my left I saw a vehicle that spun out and was banged up pretty badly. Down the road were two police cars that had their lights going and another vehicle that was spun out and banged up as well. I thought I was next, and seeing as I could not stop, I screamed, and then started pumping the brakes slowly and finally I came to a halt and spun into the lane of oncoming traffic. Luckily, the people in that lane were able to avoid me and I was able to correct myself and get myself back in driving mode. I'll be honest, this was my first time driving on the snow/ice and it scared the hell out of me. I had no choice, and all I did was take my time to get to work slowly and safe. So, I finally arrived to work, and the parking lot looks deceiving. I ended up slipping and regained my footing while walking to the entrance. The next thing I saw were my feet flying up in the air and *thud*, I landed on my butt and left leg. Trying to break the fall I instinctively put my left arm down, but it did me no good. A good samaritan helped me up and helped me get to the entrance. I did have to file an accident report at work, but my ego was more bruised at the time because I had about 3-4 witnesses. It's so embarrassing. The next day I was extremely sore, and I'm still sore, but it's nothing I can't handle, luckily. My advice for noobs on the snowy and icy roads? SLOW DOWN. Don't drive like a maniac (yeah, I'm talking to the moron in the jacked up truck on the I-5 going North who was doing 70 mph while snow was falling pretty hard and the roads were iced up!). If you can, stay home and do not drive. However, if you're a working stiff like me who has to work for a living, just leave about 45 minutes earlier and plan on going very slowly. There are reasons why I prefer a stick shift (manual transmission) and the ice/snow is one of them. Now let's hope we are not hit with anymore ice for a while. I won't lie, after what I went through on Wednesday I'm scared to drive and walk on the ice.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 6:46 PM, Blogger Sue said...

Wow, there's so much to comment on...yeah I know there are 2 minutes left in the SB. I've had enuff.

It is true that it seems to be more expensive when you're trying to eat healthily. But there are a few things that are reasonable. You could buy half a red cabbage (make them cut it in half, because NOONE can eat an entire red cabbage) and bulk up a salad for the next entire week. 1 grated carrot can add a lot to a salad or any vegetable dish.

Rice is kinda reasonable. Make that the base of dishes. And I often use boneless chiciken thighs, which are so much cheaper than breasts. I know they're fattier, but they have so much more flavor.

I'm glad you're careful driving. Be careful walking. Isn't that sort of outrageous that they didn't sand or salt the driveway. Lawsuit??

Be good.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Thank you! You are right- thighs have a lot more flavor but I HATE dark meat unless it's deep fried, LOL!!! It wouldn't be a bad idea though, it's a LOT less expensive too.

I found out that the parking lot itself is owned by who my employer leases their building through- the landlords should have salted the parking lot down and they have been held responsible as far as I know. I feel a LOT better now! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home