Sunday, April 22, 2007

Food boredom

Have you gotten tired of your menu and wanted to switch things up? For me it's been a lack of desire to cook lately, but the main part of our dinners (the meat portion) has been boring me along with the sides. Typically speaking we're a boneless skinless chicken breast and lean ground beef family, but there's only so much you can do with both before you're bored out of your mind. We'll be doing our grocery shopping in the next two weeks, so I am going to buy some roasts and maybe whole fryer chickens to change things. I have the need to switch things up but keep it easy and simple. My common staples when cooking meats are garlic and onion, but I do throw bell peppers in there as well for added flavor.

Side dishes are another problem. I think what I need to do is be a bit more creative with combining the veggies and the starches together- say, a rice incorporating asparagus and various spices, to jazz things up.

My poor husband is putting up with my cooker's block (as I call it), but I did manage to create one meal that made him say, "what's the special occasion?" this past week. That is what convinced me that I need to switch things up. Yes, I'm bored but yes, I need to improve as well.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 8:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been bored in the kitchen lately too. I think it is the change of weather and the fact that it is finally warm enough to be outside. I don't want to be cooped up in the kitchen while everyone else is having fun.
Look forward to seeing what gets you out of your self proclaimed rut!

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger ShutterMom said...

Do a whole chicken! We do one and I can get 2-3 meals out of it! Roasting it one night. I used it for chicken salad, chicken stew or chicken a la king type stuff over biscuits, shred it and add some taco seasoning to it for a shredded chicken tacos. You can do the same thing with a roast. Cook it up one night and then put it in the crock with some BBQ sauce for pulled BBQ sandwiches. Or add taco seasonings to make shredded beef tacos. Mmmmmm.

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Sher said...

Cooker's Block! :) I love that! Yes, I've had that many times!!!!!! If all else fails, do what I did tonight and any other time I have Cooker's Block: Enchiladas! Hee!

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Kristen, exactly- who wants to cook when it's gorgeous outside? lol!

S, we are definitely buying some fryers this time around- I am going to try that out! Thank you! Plus you can make chicken broth/soup with the bones.

Sher, Ooh Enchiladas- yum. That's a wonderful idea. Thank you!

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Madeline said...

I know I'm always pushing RR (probably why I have a blog devoted to her), but her 30 Minute Meals 2 cookbook is organized by meals. So there's no thinking involved when it comes to side dishes - she tells you what goes well with what. Might be worth a try for a kickstart.

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Madeline, I actually have two of her cookbooks on hold at the library right now to check it out! I will let you know what I think of them, I'll probably write up a review as well! Thank you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home