Monday, October 09, 2006

My sister

After a crazy weekend filled with errands and homework, I think I am *just* about ready for that 3-week vacation to hit me come late October/early November. I still have three weeks of this left, but in the meanwhile, baking and perhaps even cooking have to be an escape, an outlet for me.

Truthfully speaking, I enjoy baking about ten times more than I do cooking, but there is nothing better than having a satisfied family praising your well-cooked meal. Am I right? That's why I went on my pumpkin bread baking spree last week, and plan on making some more today as well. My little sister is in California and just moved on her own back in February of this year, first to a room she rented out, but now she's renting out her own apartment. I am constantly worrying about her and if she'll make it (considering her rent is significantly higher than mine, but I'm in Washington State...), so I thought I'd send some Pumpkin Bread down to her, and when I told her this while talking to her over the weekend, she was thrilled. We often commiserate over how much we miss each other, but it wasn't always like this.

My sister and I are almost exactly 7 and a half years apart in age. When our parents divorced, we were forced out of our nice 3 bedroom house (and our own rooms) into cramped 2 bedroom living quarters. First we lived with my dad, but a long story short (not one I wish to tell, anyhow), we ended up moving in with my mother. My mother had a small 2 bedroom apartment and we shared the smaller room, and made it work out somehow. All I can remember is how much we fought. I was in the 7th grade and my sister just started Kindergarten. From there on, til my senior year of high school we shared a room, fought like cats and dogs, and generally couldn't stand each other. After I graduated early and was starting to get ready to choose a college, my father offered for both of us to come move with him. Again, another long story short, I was not comfortable with that idea, and it was on my mind as he was wanting to know so he could find a place for us. My sister chose to move with him, and it was different without her being around. Yes, I missed her, but don't get me wrong, I was celebrating the fact that I finally had my own room. Eventually because I chose to go to a university instead of going to the local junior college, I ended up having to move with my dad as my mother went to rent an apartment out with a friend. I lived with my father off and on throughout my freshman year of college, and until I moved with my now-husband in December 1998. My sister was spoiled rotten by him and when I moved with them, my dad only had a 2 bedroom place- so I had to SHARE a room with my father!!!!! I know, it sounds weird, but mostly all of my crap was in his room, as my sister refused to share her room with me. I slept in the living room and if dad felt generous enough, he slept in the living room and I got to sleep in the room. In any case, that was funny (looking back now, of course). He did eventually move us into a three-bedroom rental, but then I decided to move with my now-husband (which he was pissed over!). That signalled the beginning of a closeness that began with my sister.

My sister and I don't get along too well when we live together (who does?). I lived with my father again in the third trimester of my pregnancy when I moved back to Monterey (and my husband followed suit). We lived with my father for 6 months until we found our own place. Then I lived with him again in 2003 when my husband was up here in WA trying to find work. Five months of living with my sister and father. My sister and I fought like cats and dogs- only this time, we were 24 and 17. No matter what, we are closer than ever, and I guess distance does that. I miss her terribly and wish she could come visit. The last time I saw her was January 2nd of this year. The last time she was up here visiting was August of 2005. No matter how happy I am to see her, I always end up getting a little sad and bummed out because I know that she will have to go back home. It's never easy saying goodbye, and I wish I could move back to California, but I know that won't happen. I am just glad that we share a closer bond than we did in the past.

3 Comments:

At 10:49 AM, Blogger wheresmymind said...

I think I'd kill my family if I had to live with any of them again!! lol

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Mazenbloo said...

Awww! I liked reading this. I know what you mean about family. I found that now that I'm older I get along better with my siblings. And family is so much more important to me.

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger ©Jac said...

Mmm, pumpkin bread! You are so sweet to send her some!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home