Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Recipe Review- Pot Roast (Crockpot)

Sorry, I did not take pictures of this, but it was very similar to my Beef Stew recipe. Also, I added celery in the pot roast, which I like because it brings more flavor to the roast.

Anyhow, here is the recipe (it's not online, I got this from my GMIL):

POT ROAST OF BEEF

2-3 potatoes, pared and thinly sliced
2-3 carrots, pared and thinly slices
1 to 2 onions, peeled and sliced
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3-4 lb brisket, rump roast, or pot roast
1/2 cup water or beef consomme (beef broth will do)

Put veggies at the bottom of the crockpot. Salt and pepper meat and then put in pot. Add liquid. Cover and cook on low 10-12 hours (High: 5-6 hours). Remove meat and vegetables with spatula and thicken for gravy if desired.

Notes from Jen: I forgot to add the onion, but will next time. I also used beef chuck roast which I chopped into two and it worked perfectly. I slow cooked this one and it took about 9-10 hours and by the end, the meat was so tender it was falling apart, and the veggies fully cooked. So delicious. I used half beef broth and half water, but I didn't follow what it called for. What I did was added it til it covered the veggies because it was taking forever to cook the veggies through. It was a bit more of a stew, but next time I'll follow the directions more closely and see how that goes! Overall, very hearty. Unfortunately, I didn't start it til 3pm and it was done around midnight. I ended up making sandwiches for dinner that night, and put it in the fridge after it was done (had to go to sleep). My husband kept smelling the food while he was asleep so he got up around 4am to eat some. LOL. At least he liked it!

2 Comments:

At 5:28 PM, Blogger Donna @ Snowbound said...

I had to laugh at your hubby getting up to eat some at 4am. Sounds like something my dh might do. The recipe sounds delicious. Just another recipe to add to my binder for later use.

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

It's pretty funny he got up that early too. But I have to admit, I smelled it throughout the night and wanted some too, but I wasn't that desperate. LOL!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home