Sunday, December 03, 2006

Salad fixin's

Everyone I know of has different ideas on what should go on salads. From bell peppers to onions to jalapenos, there are many different variations out there. I prefer to have a salad with my dinner every night, thanks to my father for instilling that one in me. But seriously, salads are good, full of vitamins and nutrients that you need, and the more colorful you get, the more healthy it is for you.

When it comes to topping my salad I am game for pretty much anything, but it has to be crunchy in texture. I guess you could say I'm one of those people who have trouble with food texture (or in simpler terms, I'm just picky). When it comes to veggies, the more crunch, the better it is to me. I can't stand soggy and most steamed vegetables. As a child, I fought my parents tooth and nail on eating vegetables, and I guess it's a little bit of payback that my daughter does the same (my father laughs at that one).

My Grandma's salad is always full of bell peppers, cucumbers and not so heavy on the lettuce (romaine) side. I love her salad, because it's always so fresh and tasty, and complimented well with Italian or French dressing. The salads I buy (yeah yeah...I buy the bagged salad normally) are the Spring Mix, and sometimes I'll throw extra carrots and cucumbers on for crunch if I have them. We only have one type of dressing in this house, and that is Hidden Valley Ranch. Of course, I guess I should get another because lately I have been jonesin' for some Italian dressing.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I want to find the Olive Garden's balsamic vinegar recipe, because that has to be my favorite salad dressing, hands down.

What do you like on your salads?

9 Comments:

At 5:45 AM, Blogger Mazenbloo said...

Is that the dressing that dresses all Olive Garden salads? Yuuuuumy! (I Cheat and by a bottle from their restaurant! LOL)

 
At 6:27 AM, Blogger wheresmymind said...

I like blue cheese on mine :)

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger ©Jac said...

Try this site for the dressing:
www.recipegoldmine.com

They have lots of restuarant recipes!

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Mazenbloo said...

My kids and I love salads with black olives, raisins, carrots, celery, sometimes peppers, croutons and feta cheese. Yummmmm! (And italian style dressing. Sometimes I make my own with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, grey poupon mustard, salt and pepper).

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Thank you so much!!! :)

Mazen, I am telling you I must be bizarre, because I can't stand cheese that much! It's just too rich for me. especially on salad. LOL!!

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Mazenbloo said...

LOL! I really don't like most cheeses except for maybe a little bleu...but mostly it's Feta. I love that stinky salty cheese! :D

 
At 8:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I make this dressing:

1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oi
1 clove garlic (crushed)
pinch salt
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

You can increase the vinegar and oil as long as you keep the proportions the same. The mustard holds it altogether. Stir it all up vigorously and there you go!

Ano

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

That sounds really good and easy to make. I have almost everything except the balsamic vinegar and dijon mustard on hand as it is. Thanks Ano! I appreciate it!

 
At 4:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made it yesterday and realised it's only about half a teaspoon of mustard. But you are right - it's really easy! Keeps well in the fridge too.

Ano

 

Post a Comment

<< Home