Thursday, June 28, 2007

Rising cost of food

Has anyone else noticed the price of food going up? It's not just food, it's also non-food items such as cleaners, toilet paper, practical everyday non-food items are going up as well. It's summertime, and this is the time I love fresh fruit, but the cost of white seedless grapes are incredible. $1.29/lb at my local grocery store. I went to Costco today and bought 5 lbs for $6.29. Not bad. Bananas are on the rise too, except at Costco, where we bought 3 lbs for $1.30 (phenomenonal, I'm telling you). Even the cost of meat has risen, at our favorite local beef company, pork chops went from $1.99/lb to $3.99/lb. I am not kidding you. Boneless and skinless chicken breasts used to be $1.99/lb but they are on par with Costco now at $2.99/lb.

They also say that corn prices are on the rise due to the fact that ethanol is being produced as a form of alternative fuel. Funny how that article says "food prices should stay in check", as of late I have seen almost everything jump up in price. I'm shocked the huge 180 load box of Tide we buy that lasts us 6 months didn't go up in price either. It stayed at the same price we bought it at in January.

I've been pretty good about watching our food and non-food item budget and calculating what everything would end up costing us, and usually we're always under budget because I overbudget on purpose in case something else is needed. However, for this family, with the cost of everything going up, we went overboard this month and spent almost $500 on groceries and non-food groceries as well. I have never spent that much money in the past and it's not something I'm going to get used to, because it ended up causing us to be short in the budget. But how does one prepare for the rising cost of food? I don't think you can. I hate cutting corners and trimming the list down but I do it if it's necessary. To make money last, sometimes you have to.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh you are so good. Would you do my budget for me, too?

I can't say I've detailed my notice of the rising cost of groceries as closely as you have, but I sure have noticed that I can't even get ONE SACKFUL of vegetables and bread goods for less than $30. Used to be if you bought tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, onions, bread, pasta, milk and OJ, you'd spend MAYBE $15. Now it's twice that or more. And can you even believe the cost of milk and cereal? Sheesh!

I have resolved to buy my cleaning supplies at The Dollar Store. And whenever I can I'll get generic brands. Maybe I'll spend less on detergents and cleaners there.

Gotta try anyway, right?

 
At 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's connected to the hike in gas $, everything has to be shipped to the store. We now eat mostly vegetarian because of the $, and learning more about how the animals live in confinement. I mean standing about in heaps of poop.
:) nice thought right...

 
At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Same as above, since we moved to California from the Midwest, we have gone vegetarian. In California it's much easier to give up meat due the abundant alternatives. I am not sure if I could have done that in the Midwest. Also they way animals are treated is cruel, I like to buy cage free, hormone free, grain fed eggs only. Good luck on your budget.

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Well I doubt we'll go vegetarian, but I am trying to incorporate meatless meals in our diet (more or less more salads and maybe a starch thrown in) to make what meat we DO have stretch a bit more. I'd like to buy the more organic food too but it just won't work with our budget.

And what is up with that? It feels like your non-food items are the bulk of your cost? Well, at least I have enough cleaning supplies and such to last me a good 6 months! LOL! :)

Titan, trust me, keeping to the budget last month was rough. I'm determined to this month- making meatless meals and stretching out what I can. I had to buy a lot of non-food items this month too (detergent, cleaning supplies, etc) but it'll last for a good 6 mos or so! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home