Friday, July 06, 2007

Feeding a crowd on a small budget

This fourth of July we invited our neighbors and their three kids over. We are all in the same boat (broke from paying rent), so we both worked with what we had. When we went grocery shopping last week, we picked up frozen burgers at Costco, so we used those and there was just enough for all the kids and the adults. I had a bag of potatoes so the night before I used the Best Foods recipe for potato salad and made that (minus the celery and onion though as I didn't have either). My neighbor made a chocolate cake and I made a cream cheese frosting for it.

My husband manned the grill as I poured iced tea for the adults and juice for the kids and got all the condiments and buns out. Jen (my neighbor) and I started fixing the kids plates with the first batch of burgers, then we made plates for ourselves and our husbands. I was just so relieved that it fed us all and filled our bellies- we used what we had. I still have potato salad in the refridgerator! (And sorry I did not take pictures!)

As I had posted yesterday, my daughter got really sick from heat exhaustion so I spent the most of the evening tending to her. She was able to get out and enjoy the fireworks around 10pm though (it gets dark up here so late!).

Overall, despite my daughter becoming ill, we had a great 4th of July.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 1:47 PM, Blogger Mazenbloo said...

Oh my goodness! poor little thing! Glad she is feeling better now!

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Thank you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home