Monday, July 02, 2007

All-You-Can-Eat Buffet

No, it's not what you think. I'm talking about human beings being a buffet for a wide variety of pests, such as a mosquito. The one thing I dread about summer is being attacked by the swarms of mosquitoes that live around here. Of course with the scare of the West Nile Virus, that's one more thing to worry about, but I hate the itchy feeling and the uncomfortable feeling of being bitten by a mosquito.

I don't know what it is about me- perhaps my body chemistry (that is what I was told by someone else who studied why mosquitoes attack) is the culprit. Since I was a kid I have always been like a magnet for mosquitoes.

Sure, I've tried it all- Avon So Soft, OFF! with Deet, but you have to constantly reapply, and last summer I got DEET poisoning from overusing the OFF! and was sick for a couple of days. I'm thinking of buying some Citronella candles and putting them outside on my porches to keep the buggers away. Even my daughter is itching up a storm. I told her this is how it must feel when a poor puppy gets a nasty case of fleas!

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 1:07 PM, Blogger sher said...

Yes, some people do seem like they are preferred by mosquitos. My husband was a redhead as a child and he gets bit more than me. That's awful about the Deet poisoning! Is there any food that makes a person more attractive to the little winged jerks?

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I wonder if that has anything to do with it- what I eat! Onions and garlic are prevalent in my diet, so you'd think they'd stay away, LOL!!!

 
At 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, as you'll remember from my post about mosquitoes and flies, I too am favored of the mosquitoes and hate them passionately.

We've recently had rain here of nearly Biblical proportions so I'm a little nervous about what the mosquito population will be like here in September. Yikes!

BTW, Jen, I did your food meme over on my blog... stop by and check out when you get a chance.

Also, I keep forgetting to tell you: my name is Katy. I suppose I ought to put that in my profile somewhere, huh? *grin*

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger *Rae* said...

I have never tried any of these before but I read in a group I am in says using Lavender oil works & You can also use mint or lavender plants outside doorways or beneath windows to deter mosquitoes and other flying pests..Hopefully this works for you cause being bitten sucks mosquitoes

 
At 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the same way but I am also allergic to mosquitos. When I get bit, I get huge welts...HUGE welts. Hate the critters!

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Katy, nice to meet you! :) I'll check your blog out in a bit! And the thought of mosquitoes in "Biblical Proportion" is enough to make me shudder! Ewww!

R, I am going to look for some lavendar plants! Thank you for the recommendation, I appreciate it!

Kristen, eww yuck, you poor thing! Spider bites usually welt up real bad for me, but mosquito bites just irritate the heck out of my skin!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home