Sunday, July 01, 2007

Food Product Review: Annie's Macaroni and Cheese

I gave into my daughter and said, "Yes, we'll buy Macaroni and Cheese when we go to Costco" last week. Normally they sell Kraft Mac N Cheese, but they had Annie's, which my husband chose, and we bought that instead. Last night I made it and did not follow the directions correctly, so I ended up with chunks of the powdered cheese concoction that I had to stir and stir and stir to get it all incorporated. I made it like I make my Kraft Mac n Cheese- in the pot with the hot pasta, butter and some milk. Annie's calls for mixing the cheese powder mixture with a 1/4 cup of milk and then pouring it on top of the cooked macaroni, butter optional. Doh!

So what are the differences between Kraft and Annie's? According to the Annie's website, the ingredients for the powdered cheese mix are: cultured pasteurized cheese, salt, non-animal enzymes. According to the Kraft website, the ingredients for their powdered cheese mix are: Whey, Granular & Cheddar Cheese (Milk, Cheese Culture, Salt, Enzymes). So there are a few glaring differences, but both are good in taste.

Overall I like Annie's a bit more than Kraft. It's not quite as salty as the Kraft is.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 1:08 PM, Blogger sher said...

OK, I've seen this at the store for sale--and I've never tried it. Thanks for the head's up! :)

 
At 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never heard of Annie's. My kids don't like Kraft, but I do! It takes me back to my poor college days :)

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I cooked it a few nights ago and did it the way they say to do it- it's definitely a LOT different than the Kraft and definitely not as salty! It's actually very good! I hope you guys like it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home