Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food


I am buying this damn book for my 8 year old daughter. I've had it up to HERE with the junk food habits. The other night, I made Sandra Lee's Pot Roast in the crockpot, and Miss Finicky whined about the carrots and potatoes. She was spoiled on Saturday night because she had her party, so we had pizza and cake, but I'm at the point of banning any and all junk food in my house, because I am so tired of hearing the whining and complaining about healthy food.

I don't think I should have to grind up cauliflower and hide it in her soup or meatloaf. I think that it needs to be out in the public so she doesn't end up hating it. Then I start second-guessing myself because my own father was pretty strict about the foods I ate when I was about her age. I don't want to perpetuate an eating disorder, but candy, chips and junk have to GO. The chips are her father's for his lunches for work, but he shares them with her. The candy is left over from her party. The idea of eating chewy chocolate chip granola bars for a snack does not compute. I will admit, I am guilty of allowing these things in my house (I don't do the bulk shopping, my husband does, and he does a great job by mostly sticking to the list, but I am responsible for allowing chewy granola bars in our house). I have healthy options in my house that she can choose from and at least she asks before eating her candy, but I swear, the holidays and birthdays are the absolute worst. I'm half tempted to go through her stash in a drawer her father designated to her and throw it all out!

That said, she is no couch potato. She loves riding her bike and running around outside. Now that the weather is getting nicer she is able to do so, and it's great to see her outside again. Now we'll work on the junk food next.

And a little bit off-topic but I just love the Berenstain Bears. They have great lessons in their books and I loved reading them as a child, and my daughter enjoys reading them now.

3 Comments:

At 10:29 PM, Blogger Mehgan said...

I used to LOVE that book as a kid. I think it was because we were never allowed junk food, so I liked to look at all the delicous treats in that book. It still made me realize the old "everything in moderation" rule.

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Dean's Parents said...

I love your website! And thank you for the banana cream cheese bread! It is the BEST recipe I have ever tried!

Ok, here is one way of helping your little one eat healthy. It's what my parents did and what I'm doing in my house. Granted my son is only 9 months and my husband is a health freak like myself, but we are starting Dean early. I make all of his food from scratch.

Anyway, my mom would always make our veggies tasty. Like brussel sprouts steamed and then she would transfer them to a small pot with a touch of olive oil, onion powder and sea salt. Sweet potato chips, peel, cut and bake at 400 until each side is golden brown, flip them somewhere in between. My family is Italian and Peruvian, so the foods we eat are a bit odd. But my #1 favorite were baked empanadas! YUM! My husband loves them too!

It's tough doing what you do. I give you kudos for taking the initiative for getting your daughter to eat healthy. You are a fantastic mom and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

Keep up the great work! And thank you again for the wonderful Banana bread recipe!

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Mehgan, that is why I am concerned about pushing it too much- my dad had me on a diet from the time I was 8 years old. Things were very strict. I was not a FAT child, but a bit chunky. I was active, but loved my junk food when I could get my hands on it. Like you said, everything in moderation!

Dean's Parents- first off, thank you so much for the tips! I appreciate it! Secondly, I am SO glad you loved the Banana Bread (w/Cream Cheese)- my lovely friend Siuan (who is listed under OTHER BLOGGERS as Snowbound in the Yukon) gave me that one! LOVE it! Lastly- thank you for the words of encouragement- it means a lot to me. It's hard to be a parent in the day of convenience food and rapid rates of obesity. Dealing with obesity myself has been rough, but I want to do everything I can to help my daughter avoid it. That's why I continue to push to get myself active and healthy again. Thank you so much! (You made my week, seriously. It's been a rough one!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home