Friday, March 21, 2008

NFB: Health and medical insurance

I finally got medical insurance through my new job and I have been taking full advantage of it. I just had a procedure done yesterday and will learn the results next week. I am also undergoing an Endoscopy on Monday as well. I am really nervous about it (because I will be partially sedated and I don't like sedation) and what it might find out. I have been dealing with Acid Reflux and Heartburn for 8 years now without much relief and I finally got myself to a Gastroenterologist. I just hope there is nothing seriously wrong with me and that we can figure out if it's my esophagus or if it's a gall bladder issue.

With that said, I have looked up the "GERD" diet (in short, GERD is Acid Reflux Disease) and boy oh boy, is it bland. Boring. My problem is I get so bored with bland food so quick. I know I can hardly handle anything that is acidic anymore- I typically stay away from tomatoes, oranges, pineapples, etc, and I really miss some of those foods. I'm trying to get my family back on the Low-Glycemic Index diet and that is not too hard, but following a GERD diet if I need to, will present a challenge to me. No more mint? OMG. I love mint. No more caffeine? Are you nuts! I gave up coffee almost a month ago- but to give up caffeine? Ugh! Stuff like pop, fatty meats, acidic stuff is not hard to give up because I rarely touch those things anyhow...but I will have to switch to decaf teas from now on and no more mint teas (that's gonna kill me. I love my Stash Moroccan Mint and Stash Peppermint teas!). Okay, we'll wait and see what the doctor says...

Wish me luck, please. I am a nervous wreck. And let me tell you- I am SICK of doctors, already. It's great to finally have medical insurance but the testing is getting to me, and the costs are going to present a future headache as well.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 11:37 AM, Blogger Sue said...

I hope everything went well. I guess that diet is worth a try, but good luck!! I suppose if it makes you feel a hundred times better, that might make it easier to stay on...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home