Tuesday, September 23, 2008

High Fructose Corn Syrup ad controversy

I don't know about you guys, but I have caught two commercials recently that basically states "get the facts" about high fructose corn syrup and I was shocked the first time I saw the commercial. It's being advocated by the "Corn Refiners of America" or something like that. A quick Google brought up a couple of YouTube videos and several articles about the controversy of these ads.

Let's face it- High Fructose Corn Syrup has no nutritional value and has been contributing to the obesity epidemic, and I'll even go as far to say that I would not be surprised that it contributes to Type II Diabetes as well (that is strictly my opinion). I am sure that it's a just a way of trying to get those who are trying to avoid HFCS (like myself) realize that in moderation it's not bad for you. It's bad enough, in my very humble opinion, and I try to make healthy choices for my family, and HFCS is not on my list of healthy things. I can understand in moderation it will not kill you, but these ads make the people who question HFCS look stupid and uninformed. I think that is stupid and frankly, it is annoying. I take my time when I go grocery shopping to make informed and healthy decisions about what we eat, and while we cannot always avoid HFCS, I think we do a pretty good job of doing it (if only I could get my husband to drop his pop habit).

I found an interesting online article about these ads and the HFCS myths at hand. I will say that moderation is key in any diet, but look at how many food products contain HFCS these days. So many products, including bread and juices- and according to that article, even children's vitamins contain it (WTF? I will be reading my daughter's vitamin jars from now on!).

I don't know what the answer to HFCS is, but I will say that I will continue to avoid it as much as humanly possible.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 1:59 PM, Blogger Donna @ Snowbound said...

Well damn! I'm gonna check my kids vitamins too! I too wish I could give up my pop habit, I'm really trying and going to try even harder now too. Thanks for keep us informed Jen! Love your blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home