Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Guess who?

Contrary to belief (emails I have received), I have not fallen from the face of the earth. I have just been busy (what else is new?) with a lot of stuff between work, doctor's and now summer being in full swing. I am on my last day of a most needed vacation and my mom flew home from visiting with us today. It was great to see her again, but we must get back to real life, no?

In early June I finally saw my daughter's endocrinologist, someone who is highly recommended here, and she encouraged me to start monitoring my caloric intake to see how I do with portion size. Wow. What a difference calorie counting does. The first week was rough, and while I have fallen off the wagon since my vacation began, I am still working on it. I am eating more leafy greens and whole grains (low glycemic index), and continuing with my exercise. She wants to put me on Byetta, a diabetic drug, but after seeing the gastro side effects it had on my mother, I am going to discuss this with her the next time I see it. I am leery about any medication in the first place, especially since I am not diabetic, but my Insulin Resistance has caused most of my weight to be gained in my stomach area, which is a huge precursor to heart disease and other cardio problems. I don't know what the answer is. My endocrinologist even discussed Gastric Bypass with me, but she is leery about it because of my tummy being so sensitive (which I'll get to in a bit). We'll see, and I'm going to make it a goal to post more about this stuff on a regular basis!

About my stomach- the problems have gotten worse. I had my HIDA scan last Friday to determine whether my gall bladder was the problem and well, it is not. While that is a huge relief, it still leaves me with no answers. At this point I am going to stop with the testing and just ask him about Celiac Disease and ways I can change my diet to see if I can stop the bloating and gas/cramping. I had a bout of cramping that was so severe I almost passed out driving home about a few weeks ago, but that was due to the 650 mg of Iron my primary care physician had me on, so needless to say, I am off of iron (my anemia is still bad). I am supposed to be taking Slow Fe (time release Iron), but I have not picked it up yet. Frankly, I am tired of pills and I take almost all vitamins and herbal supplements (which my doctors approve of), with the exception of Omeprazole for my ulcers/GERD (acid Reflux disease).

This summer is only going to continue to get even more busy and I am making it a goal to get myself into gear on this blog as well. I am on Spark People doing my own personal goals with diet and exercise and it's been a tremendous help. As for my family- my daughter is keeping busy with her summer daycamp and field trips, I just added soccer for the fall (3rd season!) and finally, swimming lessons. My husband is in the process of switching to day shift so our marriage can stay intact- 10 months of only seeing each other on the weekends has really put a crimp in our marriage, but we are making it work. I just had my 6 month evaluation at my job and everything is going well so far! I am pleased and feel fortunate to have a wonderful job!

Ciao for now!

1 Comments:

At 2:18 AM, Blogger blue49huthut said...

Hi honey, so nice to see you're writing again! I just posted another blog about my trip there and my travel experiences. We love to write, don't we??
Keep up the good work!
Love and miss you! I sent you an email about an outfit for Danielle on Ebay. Let me know what you think.. Mom XOXOXO

 

Post a Comment

<< Home