Friday, August 11, 2006

It's days like these I miss my Nana

Yesterday I sauteed some onion and garlic along with chopped up pork loin and then added it to a crockpot full of red beans. It's a lot like what my Nana makes, and when I tried it after it cooked for about 5 hours, it reminded me of her red beans/pork and rice. I can just hear her saying, "Oy! Anacco, you are not supposed to use the crockpot! Ay Apple Juice!" (That's an expression of hers...it's the equivalent of "Oh my god!") I miss her terribly- but hopefully next summer when I go home I can see her.

I'm not a crockpot fiend, but I have to say that it does make life a lot easier and I'm going to try to use it more often and make more than just beans in it! It did a good job of incorporating all of the flavors together and the beans were tasty. I am not too thrilled with how the pork came out- dry and a bit flaky. It seemed to have lost its moisture, but I think that was from my browning (not cooking it thoroughly) in the pan with the garlic and onion.

Leftovers, anyone?

1 Comments:

At 7:26 AM, Blogger Cupcake Queen said...

pieohmy: I used to call my grandmother Nana, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home